Learn mango pachadi recipe with step by step pictures, full video. Add neem flowers if you are making for Tamil new year.
Mangoes everywhere and I got two mangoes from Chennai and I decided to make one maanga pachadi my hubby’s favourite, and will make rice,my favourite with the remaining mango … Usually mango pachadi recipe either has no coconut or grated coconut will be added at the end. But my MIL adds smoothly ground coconut and that makes it special to blend well the salty, sweet, tangy tastes together.
You can skip turmeric and prepare just with red chilli or green chilli too.
how to prepare maanga pachadi full video:
If you are making for Tamil new year, just garnish(or temper) with dark roasted neem flowers. So that on the new year’s day, you taste all the six tastes and treat all the emotions throughout the year equally
- Sweet (இனிப்பு) – from jaggery,
- Salt(உவர்ப்பு/உப்பு) – from salt,
- spice (காரம்) – green chilli,
- sour(புளிப்பு) – Mango,
- bitter (கசப்பு) – neem flower and
- Astringency (துவர்ப்பு) – mango/Turmeric in one recipe.
Mango Pachadi recipe
- 1.5 cups Raw mango sliced
- 1/4 cup Jaggery powdered
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut grated
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp Oil
- 3/4 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2 Green chilli slit
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
Mango pachadi recipe method:
- Bring enough water to boil, add sliced mango pieces to it.
- When again start to boil, drain the water completely.
- Add salt,turmeric and 1/4 cup water and cook the mango till soft. Keep stirring often to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- Powder jaggery goes in. Boil till it dissolves.
- Add smoothly ground coconut paste and bring to boil. Temper with the items given under ‘To Temper’ table. Add neem flowers in tempering if it is made for Tamil new year.
- Mix well and serve as accompaniment for rice.
- The whole cooking has to be done in medium flame, frequent stirring to avoid burning.
- The first step is to remove the sharp sourness from the mangoes.
- If you don't have jaggery you can add sugar, my mil adds sugar mostly which gives a great colour too.
- My jaggery was very old so it was dark in colour too,so the colour of the pachadi varies with the jaggery/sugar we are using.
Step by step pictures mango pachadi method:
- Boil the sliced mangoes with water to immerse it.
- When it boils,just drain the water completely.
- Add salt,turmeric and 1/4 cup water. Continue cooking.
- Cook the mango till soft. You will see the mango changing from opaque to translucent.
- Add jaggery and mix till it dissolves.
- Add smoothly ground coconut.
- Mix and bring to boil again. Boil for 2 mins in medium to low flame.
- Temper with the items given under ‘To Temper’ table. Mix well and serve as accompaniment for rice.
Mango pachadi is a family favourite at my in-law’s place 😊…