Raw mango is added to the classic rava upma to make a tangy, delicious and flavourful breakfast. If you are looking for an interesting mango recipe, you should make this for a wonderful south Indian breakfast.
I think this mango rava upma should be best when paired with coconut chutney. I had it as such though. You have to add more chillies to balance the tanginess so that it does not overpower the other tastes. We are cooking mangoes first and adding semolina to it and cook together so that the mango flavour and taste blends in the procedure.
If you want more mango recipes, do check it out here.
Step by step pictures
- Peel off the skin of mango, grate it.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in kadai, temper with mustard, urad dal and chana dal, curry leaves. Add chopped onions and fry till transparent.
- Add grated mango, salt and turmeric. Saute till soft (2 mins).
- Add roasted rava and mix well. Add 2 cups water.
- Boil in high flame until it resembles porridge.
- Cook covered for 5-6 mins in medium flame. Drizzle remaining oil and mix well.
Enjoy hot with coconut chutney or as such too it tastes good.