Mango Shrikhand is a yogurt (dahi) based Indian dessert variation of Gujarati famous Shrikhand. Quick video, stepwise photos.
Mango shrikhand is also known as amrakhand.
I have tasted shrikhand few years back in Chennai, but not homemade, I got from store in frozen section. When I came home eagerly to taste and had my first mouth, it was not tasting good at all!
I am not sure if the pack was not handled well in the freezer or I am not sure that’s the way it taste originally. After that I never ever wanted to taste or try it out.
Now this time when I was thinking what to try newly with mango for this mango season, this came to my mind. So I saw this video, It was really simple and easy with minimum ingredients. I actually do not like saffron smell in shrikhand and this had no saffron in it too. So I tried it and it was really good and rich.
Mango - I used Indian Banganapalli variety. But any variety that is sweet and juicy should work. If alphonso, the color will be attractive as well.
To puree mango, just place scooped pulp of ripe mango in blender and grind smoothly.
Yogurt - Indian dahi/ plain yogurt. I used homemade curd. Plain yogurt, greek style yogurt works too.
To make hung curd, for this recipe, take 1 & ¼ cups of curd (plain yogurt) in a thin pure cloth for 2-3 hours. (cheese cloth, white dupatta, cotton cloth works)
I tie it over the skin in dish drainer or tap and let the whey drip in the sink itself.
Can I use tinned mango pulp?
Yes you can use it and adjust the sugar quantity accordingly. Tinned mango pulp is slightly watery so the consistency of the dessert can vary too.
Want to make it instantly without all the waiting time to make hung curd? Use Cream cheese as short cut! Since cream cheese will be thick, use curd to get desired consistency.
- ½ cup Hung curd
- ¼ cup Mango pulp
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 tablespoon Chopped nuts
- Hang curd in a thin clean cloth like a cheese cloth/ muslin cloth for atleast 3 hours. All water should drain.
- Transfer this hung curd to a mixing bowl. ( I used 1 & ¼ cup curd to get ½ cup hung curd).
- Add sugar, mango pulp, cardamom with this hung curd and mix well.
- Beat using a whisk until smooth and transfer to the serving bowl.
- Garnish with nuts. Cover and refrigerate until cold before serving.
- To puree mango, just scoop the flesh and grind it in a blender without water.
- Fresh mango works best, but readymade mango pulp can also be used, adjust sugar accordingly.
- The cardamom flavor should be more, so add generously.
- Adjust the sugar quantity according to the sweetness of the mango and your sweet preference.
- Nuts like almonds and pistachios can be used. The chopped nuts can be mixed with the shrikhand too.
1. Hang curd in a thin clean cloth like a cheese cloth/ muslin cloth for atleast 3 hours. All water should drain. Transfer this hung curd to a mixing bowl. ( I used 1 & ¼ cup curd to get ½ cup hung curd).
2. Add sugar, mango pulp, cardamom with this hung curd and mix well.
3. Beat using a whisk until smooth and transfer to the serving bowl. Garnish with nuts. Cover and refrigerate until cold before serving.
Delicious, rich, no cook, easy to prepare mango shrikhand dessert! Do try it out!