Masala dosa recipe, the most popular south Indian breakfast recipe among the many kids of dosa. Learn how to make easily at home.
One of my favorite in my childhood days. I love the potatoes cooked in a simple yet flavorful way that goes well as both stuffing for dosa and with puri/ poori.
When it comes to potato stuffing, it is simple burst of flavors. So south Indian! With mustard, curry leaves and turmeric, the flavor is elevated to another level.
I cannot stop comparing this with the poori masala, especially if you are like me, you can identify it. In contrast, I made it thick for making it possible to stuff the dosa.
So if you want, you can adapt the same recipe for puri too, by adding a bit of water and leaving few pieces of the potatoes not mashed. In fact, my FIL actually likes it this way ~ thick and completely mashed potatoes for puri too.
He says, see how it is mashed with no traces of potatoes at all, when we eat at Mathura restaurant at Mount road, Chennai. In other words, he loves that masala served there. It is so different from others.
Dosa batter Instructions
1. First, wash and soak dosa rice in vessel for 3 hours.
2. Same way was urad dal + fenugreek seeds together in another vessel.
3. After 3 hours, to begin with, drain water from urad dal + fenugreek seeds. Place in the blender.
4. Grind with ice water adding little by little and equally important, in regular intervals to prevent over heating and not all together. In other words, if you grind it right, it will have small bubbles seen in batter.
5. Then, transfer to a large vessel enough to hold both batter.
6. After that, place the rice, salt and cooked rice (if adding) in a mixie (blender).
4. Likewise, using ice water, grind to a smooth batter. Do give time in between if it is hot and also add water carefully without making it watery.
5. Then, transfer it along with ground urad dal batter.
6. After that, mix thoroughly and keep aside for fermentation.
7. Eventually, it will take from 12 to15 hours for fermentation.
8. To make dosa, firstly take required portion of batter in a mixing bowl. Then add very little water, say ¼ cup per 2 cups of batter.
9. Mix really well to make dosa. It spreads easily and evenly in dosa pan when we add water to batter and mix well.
This makes 15 + dosas approximately.
Now let's see how to make masala
Masala dosa recipe
- 3 Potatoes big sized
- 1 Onion
- 2 tablespoon Carrot finely chopped
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 tablespoon Finely chopped ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 teaspoon Chana dal
- 5 Cashew nuts
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
For dosa batter
- 2 cups Idli rice
- ½ cup Urad dal
- ½ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- ½ cup Cooked rice Or soak ¼ cup Poha (flattened rice) or Sago along rice and grind together.
Potato masala stuffing
- Wash and cut each potato into 4 and pressure cook with ½ cup water for 3 whistles.3 Potatoes
- Peel off the skin and mash it well.
- Heat a pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ table in order. Let the cashews turn golden.1 tablespoon Oil, ½ teaspoon Mustard, 1 teaspoon urad dal, 2 teaspoon Chana dal, 1 Curry leaves sprig, 5 Cashew nuts
- Add chopped ginger, green chilli, onion, carrot and fry well for a minute. Add ¼ cup water, required salt and turmeric.1 Onion, 2 tablespoon Carrot, 2 Green chilli, 1 tablespoon Finely chopped ginger, ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder, Salt
- Add the mashed potatoes, and mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes, add oil if needed more.
- Spread 2 ladles of dosa batter (refer above for dosa batter instructions) thin over hot tawa.
- Drizzle some oil or best ghee. When it gets cooked, smear the top with ladle to make dosa cook evenly.
- No need to flip, just spread a ladle full of masala prepared in the middle.
- Cover it with dosa and serve it immediately.
- Use ½ teaspoon ghee along with oil for each dosa , which makes the masal dosa smell divinely. Restrict yourself to one or two to take care of your health/ diet.
- Adding finely chopped ginger not only enhances the flavor, also helps in digesting the potato. Just make sure to finely chop, then you wont even get it to know while eating.
- Even If you don’t want that, you can also grind the ginger and green chilli with water mentioned in step 2 and use it.
- I use coconut oil for making this masala, which adds more flavor.
- Make dosa slightly thick and ensure to cook in medium flame for crispy texture.
1. Wash potatoes firstly and cut each potato into 4. After that, pressure cook with ½ cup water for 3 whistles. Then peel off the skin and mash it well.
Now to begin with, heat a pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ table in order. Let the cashews turn golden.
2. After that, add chopped ginger, green chilli, onion, carrot and fry well for a minute. Then pour ¼ cup water and turmeric.
3. Add the mashed potatoes also and mix well. Continue by frying for 2-3 minutes, add oil if needed more.
4. Spread dosa (refer tips page – dosa tips) thin , drizzle some oil or best ghee and when it gets cooked, no need to flip, just spread a ladle full of masala prepared in the middle.