Masala rice or masala bhat recipe with cauliflower kofta added to it. With spices and coconut along coriander leaves is ground and added to flavour..
This is adapted from the Maharashtrian masale bhat recipe, I added kofta to make Aj eat this, so if you want to make it simple, you can try making plain without kofta too. I made this masala rice/ masala bhat for Vikatan Tv project and thought posting now as I am still not back to the routine after my trip to India. Sorry for not responding to your queries especially in Facebook. Will respond in a day or two 🙂.
Masala bhat or masala rice is very spicy and flavourful, totally different from the south Indian masala flavours. I adapted to suit my taste, so this may not be the authentic Maharashtrian masala bhat.
Though I have made kofta first, I recommend to make rice first and then make koftas hot to keep it fresh and tasty. I adapted the recipe from this post.
How to make cauliflower masala rice video
Step by step method with pictures
- Pressure cook potatoes for 2 whistles. Do not over cook. Once done, drain water completely and grate it roughly. Grate cauliflower in a fine grater. I used blender to grind it coarsely.
- In a pan with a tsp of oil, add the grated cauliflower and sautee well until soft.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add boiled, peeled potato. Crumble it. Bread crumbs, Cornflour, Garam masala, Chat masala, Pepper powder (rest of the ingredients needed for kofta except oil) and make lemon sized balls out of it.
- Mix all the ingredients well and make equal balls out of it.
- You can deep fry or cook in paniyaram pan until golden and drain over a paper towel.
For preparing rice
- Soak basmati rice for 10 mins. Gather the ingredients coriander seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, red chilli, cloves, cinnamon, desiccated coconut, coriander leaves under ‘To powder’ table and powder it without adding water.
- In a small pressure cooker, add ghee and temper with bay leaf, jeera and cashew nuts. Add rice, completely drained from water.
- Roast until water evaporates. Add the ground masala powder, give it a quick stir and add 1 & ¼ cups water, turmeric, salt.
- Bring to boil and keep the flame low and cook for 12-14 mins. Mix in between once.
- Once done, fluff the rice, transfer to serving bowl. Add the koftas by layering rice and koftas.
Serve hot with simple onion or cucumber raita. You can garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut.