Learn how to make masala tea at home with perfect balance of flavours. Milk tea with perfect blend of spices. Full video and detailed step by step pictures.
I have fascination towards the term masala tea or masala chai and wanted to taste for many times how it would taste and always ended up in disappointment. May be 4-5 times I have tasted masala chai in restaurants. Either it would be tasting same like ginger cardamom tea or it will be with the overpowering smell of cinnamon. And once when I tried it in the fancy coffee shop under the name of Indian masala chai, I told myself I would never have masala chai again outside. I also dreaded to try at home. There are many versions of masala chai, people add pepper, mace, mint leaves etc, I have just kept it basic and simple.
When I wanted to try something with the fresh spices that I received from Dulce Vi, I thought I would try a simple recipe. The totally loved their cinnamon, its flavourful, curly and thin, just the way it should be. I have already shared about them in my Instagram earlier, do read about their working environment and the fair trade relationships with farmers. So get in touch through their Facebook or Instagram handles if you are interested in their fresh produce quality products. They also sell amazing chai masala, check it out.
How to make masala tea step by step pictures:
- Take out the seeds from a cardamom and crush it well. Crush a piece of ginger too (without skin).
- In a vessel, bring 1 & 1/2 cups of water to rolling boil. Add crushed ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and clove. Add a pinch of nutmeg, 2 tsp tea powder.Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and 2 tsp of sugar.
- Bring to boil again and simmer for 4 more minutes. Filter through a metal strainer.
- Pour to serving cups and serve hot.