Matar paneer recipe, a tasty side dish prepared with Indian cottage cheese and green peas in a tangy yogurt and tomato based gravy.
Matar paneer has Indian cottage cheese and green peas (matar) as main ingredients.
I tried this recipe after I tasted this at my friend Sangeeta’s place. She makes absolutely delicious dishes, especially North Indian food.
In my initial stages of cooking, she is the one who taught me so much by sharing the recipes as well as best admirer and critic of my food.
When I visited her once, she made this for me. Loved it very much and asked her the recipe for it. Prepare whenever I get bored of the paneer butter masala.
This is sure a nice variation from the usual cashew gravy. With lemon juice and garam masala added at the end, this has a unique taste, flavor with a nice twist.
The recipe where my friend sangeeta referred was My Dhabha mutter paneer masala. So do try this Punjabi Dhaba style matar gravy.
Cottage cheese - Paneer is Indian style cottage cheese, prepared freshly in most of the households. Now a days, equally quality is available both in fresh form and frozen form.
So you can use fresh or frozen cubes in this recipe.
Green peas - Fresh matar is available in winter, so you can prepare with it when you get it. Otherwise you can freeze the fresh matar and use through out the year.
I use store bought frozen matar available in stores too.
The highlight of this recipe is the spices we use in this. Freshly roasted black pepper, cinnamon and cumin along with other whole spices smells, tastes just amazing in this.
Also I find adding garam masala towards the end is also a great tip for perfect flavor.
Roasting paneer golden gives a lovely look to the matar gravy. Just make sure not to overcook it. Keep it immersed in hot water until adding to the gravy, only at the end.
- Slowly roast the ingredients in low flame or medium flame. Burning it will end up in bitter gravy.
- Make sure to beat the curd smoothly before adding, otherwise it may not look pleasant.
- You can also use cream/ sour cream for richer results.
Mutter paneer freezes well upto 3 months. Divide and store prepared matar gravy after cooling completely. Thaw and reheat before using.
Leftover can be used upto 2 days in fridge. If kept as soon as you prepare and cool down, then upto 5 days in fridge.
Matar paneer recipe
- ¾ cup Matar Green peas
- 1 & ½ cups Paneer cubed
- 2 Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Curd
- 3 Green chillies
- 1 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- Coriander leaves For garnishing
- 1 Lemon's juice
- 2 tablespoon Oil or Ghee
To Fry and grind to paste
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 Onion sliced
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 cardamom
- 1 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Heat a pan with oil and add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, pepper and lastly cumin seeds, after it splutters, add onion and fry till golden brown. Add the chilli,coriander and turmeric powder .
- Just give it a quick stir ,take care not to burn it.Let it cool and grind it along with little water to a smooth paste.
To cook matar:
- Microwave the (Matar) peas for 2 minutes in high in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in between for even cooking. If frozen, no need to add water. If fresh add 2 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon water while cooking.
- Boil water briskly. Add paneer and boil again for 3-4 mins. Set aside.
- Boil water and add the frozen paneer, switch off the flame and keep covered till use. If you want you can shallow fry the paneer cubes until golden brown and again keep it immersed in hot water. Keeping immersed in hot water helps the paneer to stay soft. I usually don't fry the paneer,just add it to the boiling water and then add it to the gravy,which gives you a softer paneer. But this time I tried shallow frying.
- Add oil in the pan and add slit green chillies and ginger garlic paste, fry for a minute, then add the ground paste. Fry for a minute or two.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and required salt. Fry till oil oozes out (4-5 minutes) in medium flame. (Video has slightly different steps, both ways good)
- Add the cooked peas. Add the well beaten curd and mix well. If you do not beat the curd, the gravy won't looks smooth.
- Add the paneer cubes and required water(½ cup), and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Add the garam masala powder.
- Lastly garnish with the coriander leaves and add the lemon juice after you put off the stove. Mix well.
- Do not over fry the masala powders which will turn the gravy bitter.
- Adding lemon juice is very important,so do not skip it, otherwise you have to compromise on the taste!
- Do not over squeeze lemon or crush seeds which makes gravy bitter.
Preparing masala paste
1. Firstly, heat a pan with oil and add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, pepper and lastly cumin seeds, after it splutters, add onion.
2. Furthermore, fry till golden brown. Add the chilli, coriander and turmeric powder .
3. Just give it a quick stir ,take care not to burn it.
4. Let it cool and grind it along with little water to a smooth paste.
1. Microwave the matar for 2-3 minutes in high in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Stir in between for even cooking and set aside. You can apparently boil the mutter too.
1. Boil water and add the frozen paneer, switch off the flame and keep covered till use.
2. If you want you can shallow fry the cubes until golden brown in a pan and again keep it immersed in hot water.
3. Keeping immersed in hot water helps the paneer to stay soft. I usually don't fry , just add it to the boiling water and then add it to the gravy, which gives you a softer results. But this time I tried shallow frying.
Prepare matar paneer
1. Add oil in the pan and add slit green chillies and ginger garlic paste, fry for a minute.
2. Then add the ground paste and fry for a two minutes.
3. After that, add the chopped tomatoes and required salt.
4. Fry till oil oozes out (4 minutes approx. ) in medium flame.
5. Add the cooked matar.
6. Add the well beaten curd and mix well. If you do not beat the curd, the gravy won't looks smooth.
6. Add the paneer cubes and required water(½ cup), and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
7. Finally, add the garam masala powder. Then garnish with the coriander leaves and add the lemon juice after you put off the stove. Mix well.
Home Cooked Oriya Food
yummy! I have to prepare paneer tomorrow. Will give this a shot!
Very tempting pics with beautiful presentation dear...
This curry looks very delicious ...paneer n mutter is a best n ever green combination...adding lemon juice must give a kick to the dish ..i will try ur version soon ..
It looks so tempting...Nice clicks...
I can have any dish which has paneer in it and this is one of my fav combo too but never tried out this way , looks very yum raks esp the 1st pic is very tempting...
creamy texture is awesome....a must try!
Very creamy and yummy gravy. Loved it !!
Paneer is my absolute weakness n matar- panner is such a classic combo..n this one looks soooooo good yum yum yum..Awesome recipe n great pictorials!!
tempting mutter paneer! nice step by step explanation! looks fabulous!:P 😛
yummy yummy.. looks great.
love the look of that gravy
Yummy yummy...u r making me crave for some gravy early mrg 🙂 Looks so so delicious
The color of the gravy looks yummmm ...... lovely clicks.
looks very tempting Raks
lovely recipe...looks really yummy and tempting...Thanx for you lovely comments on my blog and on FB dear...
wow>looks so creamy>just loved it>
Lovely color of the gravy....my fav one too...looks super appetizing
i am speechless but love to say yumm yumm yummyyyyyyy...
delicious looking mutter paneer and love ur version.Adding chillies will give a great flavour, will try next time.Nice click
wowwww!!! perfect paneer butter masala! yummy yummy!
platter looks too yum,..
wow..very nice curry..so nicely explained and illustrated..will surely make it whenever guests come at my home
the paneer looks yummy....the color simply marvellous....
lookyum,flavorful and deli....cious.....simply wonderful..i love ur glass pot...can u pls tel me which brand and where did u buy it from...is it good on electric or juststove top
slurrpie..looks soo yumm
sanyukta, its vision's glass cookware, its good in both electric and stove top..
Slurppp, am drooling rite now here, beautiful looking paneer mutter masala..
Wow! Paneer matar masala looks so tempting. Beautiful clicks!
delicious flavourful masala
Delicious, Divine and i m Drooling!!!!!
Like the addition of lemon juice here..The click is so inviting...Shall I come over to ur place for dinner 😉
Rich and creamy and tempting. Awesome.
Curry looks so delicious..love the combo,beautiful presentation
Nice clicks as always. I too loved this gravy from that blog .. Can be prepared for guests too 🙂
Yummy yummy yummy 🙂 Nice variation and it looks damn inviting 🙂
Love the Gravy..It just looks so yummy..I am already drooling!!
this is soo yummy....
guess will make it next time i make chapathi
looks beautiful just to gobble it up in one go!!
Paneer mutter masala looks delicious. I love them.
lovely curry more over ur stepby step prepration with natural colour is fentastic .love to eat if i get it
WOnderful pics. Beautiful presentation. Nice and tempting.
Paneer mutter looks yum! thanks for the recipe.
Looks creamy and perfect. Love your cooking utensil
Awesome raks.. I am drooling here.. The pic looks so stunning..
Lovely recipe and pictures.BTW I havve the same pot (glass) myself, absolutely love it.
oh this lovely and tasty..Another great recipe..Looks very tempting!
thats a very yummy dish, Raks! perfect combo with rotis..
Rich and creamy!..this is my family fav as well!I make the same way too...made it just 4 days back!
P.S-All I know is that I'm so irregular, visiting your lovely recipes!:(
The gravy is much lighter and sure taste good!
A classic dish..looks fantastic and delicious...
Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com
Yay 3mins to strike 12 ...Let me the first one to wish for ur blog anniversary....Wishing u many more such blogging happy years to come...Keep going! Brownie template is neat
I tried your recipe and it came out perfectly yummy and restaurant type. thanks for sharing 🙂
Home Cooked Oriya Food
I tried this ! It was awesome!
Wow,thanks for the quick try and the prompt feedback Indira and Somoo 🙂 Glad you liked this!
Raji I too almost make this way and this is my very fav and sometime i substitute paneer with Gobi or aloo with green peas, which tastes equally good.
The dish is too awesome.I've a doubt.
1.In this receipe while using frozen peas is it necessary to stir for few mins in microwave as u told.If it's must means can we do in the normal gas stove (as we use to fry the veggies) for few mins else how long and for wat.
2.How to preserve remaining unused paneer after opening from the packet and how long wil it stay once the cover is opened.
Hi Raji...tried it and loved this gravy.. Now a days started preparing this gravy often with different combos like aloo gobi, aloo mutter etc... and thanks for the stepwise pics...
I tried this. The dish was very scrummy and my husband loved it too. The pics are very attractive that makes me to try the dish.
Sudha, so sorry for my late reply! Yes you can do in stove top and the paneer life depends on the expiry date in the cover. Till then you can keep the paneer covered properly in the freezer. Do not thaw the paneer(keep out until soft) and again freeze.
Valar,Shalu Thanks so much for the feedback 🙂
Heyyyy whoever u are! Thanks a lottt!! Its awesome for a beginner like me!i Feel more confident while cookin! ure pics are of great help! 🙂 i jst made this today....my hubby is yet to come home and taste it! Looks really nice though! Jst de way ures looks! 🙂 Thanks a lotttttt!! Keep postin more...and i wish u were a Non -veg! lol...wud have made things even easier!! 🙂
I don't have lemon,so if i skip it will it taste bad????.Or can i use milk instead of curd????
Hi...Tried it and was very delicious...will post it at my space...
Thanks for the recipe dear..
really mouth-watering pic...can you also give the recipe for paneer-chilly gravy???
Hi...the color of ur recipe is so tempting dat I decided to try this recipe instead of paneer chilly gravy which I was looking for.Plz post the recipefor paneer chilli gravy if possible
Hi, Nice recipe...After adding garam masala should the stove be pout off or should it boil for some time after that?
Rimi, will try to post soon!
Shiny, Just give it a boil,say for a minute is enough 🙂
Thanks Raks...Will surely try it and post the result 🙂
I tried yesterday and my husband loved it:) Thanks for your recipe
I tried it yesterday and my husband loved it:) Thanks for your recipe.
Tried the recipe couple of days before and it tasted yummmm!! and my hubby loved it!!! Am new to cooking and your recipes are just too easy to follow. A big Thank you to you 🙂
hi raji..though i am a regular visitor in your blog this is the first time am writing here.tried matar paneer masala and it's absolutely yummy..!i've tried various other recipes for this but was never satisfied with the flavour.but this i can say..was the perfect flavour that i had been looking for..thank you raji for the recipe..
this recipe of Raks looks really delicious.. n easy to make as explained in a very fine way. step by step. thnks for it.
one more thing. i wud like to add is that after reading it .. it reely provoked me to make it n i made it as per recipe instructions (measurements n steps) everything went well n smooth only problem was.. it became spicy. even after takin only 2 green chillies. rather than 3 (as mentioned)
so guys juz see ya taste n make other than seeing recipe instructions(Quantity)
rest it was perfect n thnxx to Raks 🙂
Dear Raks,i tried ur receipe today only.my son just loved the colour and texture.ur shahi paneer is also very good.thank you.
This is one of the straight forward version of mutter paneer found online. Others failed to mention to fry onion before grinding! Gr8 site Google has thrown me up in search results! 🙂
Thanks everyone 🙂
i tried tis recipe....it was good... gr 8 job done at home...am just 17....i served dis as a surprise recipe for my parents wedding day.....tank u so much
I tried this recipe.....It was really yummy......Each and every recipes are really really very good.....Rakskitchen....Rocks
I tried this receipe ......it was yummuy.....rakskitchen......rocks super.....
I tried this recipe today,, and it came out well.. Thanks RAKS KITCHEN for posting this recipe and easy to follow procedure
I tried this Recipe today... wow it came out really good... thanx RAKS KITCHEN for the wonderful recipe. and easy to prepare procedure..
Why you make your gravy after sautéing onions? I make gravy from raw onions. Does it make any difference?
Love your blog and an awesome description of all the recipies.
Yes grinding after frying gives nice flavor I feel also splutters less while sauteing... Its my feel anyways 🙂
I did try this receipe on a week day and turned out to be a good one. My Hubby and Kid just loved it 🙂
Thank you Raks.
wow it looks delicious ......
Hai...I tried your recipe and it came out absolutely well.
I tried this and came out very well....Thanx for this wonderful recipe...
Pictures are awesome, nice recipe.... i will surely try
Hi the pictures are awesome, nice recipe, ought to try
Hi. It's very testy .i tried it 2 days back.my children's are liked very much it's really nice
Hi,I tried it .its really tasty
I tried mutter paneer and came out good. I add kastoory methi and heavy whipped cream instead of yogurt.
I tried this recipe and came out really good, I add kastoory methi and heavy whipped cream instead of yogurt.
I made this and my hubby loved it..Thank you soo much for this recipe.
I just made this and it turned out yummy.Thanx for this recipe 🙂
Just tried ur recipe and it was really yummy.thnx.
comes out so delicious, thanks to rak's
Hi Raks, I have tried this recipe with tofu and got thumbs up from my hubby. Thanks raks. can you please give some mushroom recipes.
love the way you describe to make delicious recipes...!!
Followed the steps exactly. The gravy is so delicious...
Really easy and tasty one
Tried this recipe today. It was tasty and awesome. Everybody at my home liked it. I made panner from scratch and fresh peas, so it gave a added taste to it.
Yummy and quick recipe..
Hi, made this today. It came out very well, just like the pic, only more colorful as I used fresh peas and home made paneer. I did not use the lemon juice as the paneer was split using lemon juice, it was already tangy. It's a nice party dish too. I am a novice cook, this means your instructions are easy and absolutely replicable. Thank you and best wishes for 2014.
I made this dish and I skipped lemon juice as the tomatoes and curd gave it a nice tangy flavour.. I would recommend this dish to all. Thanks for the great recipe.
must try recipe.. worked good for me.. thanks for sharing
What are the measurements "no" and "nos"? Want to make the matar paneer, but don't know how to measure. Cups? Teaspoon?
I tried this Shahi Paneer Recipe And it comes out delicious 🙂
One of my favorite dishes from your collections. Have tried it two times, and the second time without curd, still it came out well. 🙂
This is our absolute mutter paneer recipe ever. Always a huge success! Thank you so much for sharing it with the world!
Thank you so much 🙂