Medhu vadai recipe – Ulunthu vadai – ulundu vadai- medu vada – with VIDEO and step by step pictures, tips and tricks to make perfect shape.
The only work/help I used to do before marriage,to my mom, if any festive days means, that would be grinding and making vadai. My mom used to tell how,and i will grind and make as per her instructions.Then after 3-4 times,I used to do all by my self👏. From then, vadai department is mine…That is from grinding ,cleaning the grinder,till making vadai😍.
My mom used to make vadais with a piece of banana leaf or a polythene cover, for making shape of vadai. But once I happened to see how vadai is made in hotel/restaurants…with out using anything,just using our one hand make beautiful vadais that looks so cute….From then I started making like that.Its less mess and easy too than using banana leaf or anything else.What u need is practice. No no,don’t think its difficult,once u get to know the correct trick,you will be able to do with ease.
Full detailed video on How to make medhu vada :
I could not take pictures while making sooo detailed,but have done whatever i can do with my one hand,so that beginners could be benefited. If anybody sees this post and want to see a video,please mail me to my mail ID,given in my profile.I will send you the link that I have uploaded in You tube. The reason why I have not linked here is,so many of you already know and I need not bore you right? And also the video quality is not up to the mark since I took from my mobile.
And this post is especially for my two close friend’s request,one, Sangeeta and then my Sis in law .
If you are making for any festival, Make few without onion to offer God. Then add onion to remaining batter.
Serve hot with sambhar/coconut chutney.
Today is Aadi velli,So I made the above vadais and sakkarai pongal. This is my 100th post too!! I thank all of the blogger friends who give their lovely comments,which encourage me a lot! I also have my friends who read my blog silently,I thank them too …Please continue with your support!!
Moong dal/Paasi paruppu – 3 tblsp
Ghee – 4 tblsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Cashews – 6-8 nos.
Jaggery – 3/4 cup – 1 cup
Elachi – 1
Raisins(optional) – 1 tsp
Nutmeg powder(optional) – 2 pinches
Pachai karpooram(optional) – A pinch
water – 1 & 3/4 cups
Salt – 2 pinches
- Heat the cooker and add a tsp of ghee and fry the moong dal directly.Fry for a minute.
- Add the washed rice,half of the milk,water and pressure cook in medium flame for 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released,open and mix some more milk,just to mash and mix well.
- Powder the jaggery and if you think the jaggery is pure,doesn’t have impurities or sand then you can add the powdered jaggery to the pongal directly.If you have impurities in it,then better just melt the jaggery with very little water and filter the impurities and then add this syrup to the pongal.
- Switch on the stove and keep on stirring well in a low-medium flame.
- Pour ghee little by little and keep on stirring till pongal leaves the sides of the vessel.(approx 4-5 min)
- Add fried cashew,powdered elachi and the other optional ingredients lastly and mix well.
- Enjoy the pongal hot hot!!