Methi pulao is an easy one pot meal prepared with fresh methi leaves and simple spices available in your pantry.
I bought a bunch of methi leaves (methi leaves is fresh fenugreek seeds leaves) when I went to shop at Mustafa and it was fresh, so too hard resist buying. I was thinking what else to make other than making methi thepla which I usually do.
Then made pulao in my own way and turned out easy yet very flavorful and eventually makes a perfect lunch box recipe. Since I made only for us two, I made it in my non stick kadai itself. It was perfectly done and super easy. Sure to follow this method when I make this kind of pulaos.
To cook basmati rice perfectly, long cooked grain as well as soft, soak it in warm water for 15 mins minimum.
To prevent rice from breaking, stir less. Especially after the rice is cooked. You have to salt it perfectly, so that you need not stir too much adjusting the salt.
Amchoor helps in cutting down the bitterness of methi leaves.
I have made this as no onion no garlic methi rice. You can definitely add sliced onion, 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste in this recipe.
Use turmeric for a pleasant color.
If you are cooking in pressure cooker, after the water boils, close the lid and cook in lowest flame for 10 to 12 mins. Or if whistle, use 2 cups water and give 2 whistles in medium flame.
You may also like
Goes well with
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup Methi leaves
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ¾ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Amchoor powder
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Inch Cinnamon
- 1 Clove
- 1 Cardamom
- 1 Bay leaves
- Soak the rice in warm water for at least 30 mins.
- Heat a pressure heavy bottomed pan and add ghee, temper with the items under ‘To temper’ table. Add the cleaned methi leaves.
- Fry in medium flame until it shrinks in volume without changing its color.
- Add green chillies, red chilli powder, coriander seeds powder, amchoor powder, salt and give a quick stir.
- Add water (1 & ½ cups) and bring to boil. Add the soaked rice and bring to boil again.
- Keep the flame in lowest possible and cook covered for 10 minutes or until the water is fully dried up.
- Stir only once in between, carefully for even cooking.
- Soaking in warm water is very important as it helps the rice to get cooked in short time and also helps in giving long grain.
- Do not stir much after the rice gets cooked, just do it on between once for even cooking.
- If you don’t have amchoor powder, use 1 teaspoon lemon juice in place of it.
- Do not chop the leaves as it may turn bitter while cooking.
1. Soak the rice in warm water for at least 30 mins. Heat a pressure cooker (I did in my non stick kadai itself) and add ghee, temper with the items under ‘To temper’ table. Add the cleaned methi leaves.
2. Fry in medium flame until it shrinks in volume without changing its colour. Add green chillies, red chilli powder, coriander seeds powder, amchoor powder, salt and give a quick stir.
3. Add water (1 & ½ cups) and bring to boil. Add the soaked rice and bring to boil again.
4. Keep the flame in lowest possible and cook covered for 10 minutes or until the water is fully dried up.
5. Stir only once in between, carefully for even cooking. Once done, fluff gently and keep covered for 10 mins before serving.
Serve hot with any raita or dal or any gravies. I had simply with raita and pickle. It was great and flavorful.
Healthy and aromatic pulao....
Healthy recipe..looks delicious
healthy, delicious pulao..
This rice dish is beautiful! But what are methi leaves? I've never heard of them!!!
Healthy pulao for the diabetic people
This is an amazing way for feed the healthy methi to my family. Gonna add this to my 'must try' recipe list.
Looks simple and easy to make...Great pics Raji..
Healthy ......n the luk is goddd....classic n royal...with tht color....thanks raks for another hit recipe.....
Simple and healthy good
Fenugreek leaves. ..
so easy and healthy!
Healthy and yummy looking pulao...love the clicks
Superb!!!!!! Healthy and tasty. Love ur recipies!!
This dish is delicious!!! I only used one green chili, so it will not be too hot. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
This pulao doesn't need onion, ginger or garlic is it??
If you want you can add 🙂
I made this pulao this weekend . It was so delicious . This receipe would be frequent in our house from now onwards . Thank you
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.