Milagu kashayam is a perfect home remedy for common cold and it’s symptoms like fever, body pain, cough etc. With full video and step by step pictures.
Mom calls it milagu karukku kashayam. Sugar is caramelized (lmost burnt) and used in this kashayam. May be that’s why the name karukku. Black pepper and cumin seeds are roasted until it crackles. Later powdered and boiled to make kashayam. I remember having this as a child, but always been forced to have this. Even though it’s not that bad, when it’s called as ‘marundhu‘ (medicine) or kashayam, it’s really allergic as a kid, right 😜
And for the fact that it’s spicy as hell. Never able to handle it. Even if you are trying it out, keep a glass of water with you for emergency. I have seen mom adding betel leaves in it at times. I have given honey for sweetening, you can also replace it with palm sugar (panakarkandu) or jaggery.
How to make milagu kashayam:
- Dry roast black pepper until it pops, lower the flame and add cumin seeds.
- Keep roasting until cumin seeds crackles too. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in low flame, add sugar to the same pan, let it melt and start turning deep in colour.
- Carefully add 2 cups water. Let it boil. Powder the pepper and cumin.
- Add to the boiling water. Mix well.
- Let it boil for 5 mins in medium flame or until the water reduces to half.
- Filter and let it become warm. Mix honey (or jaggery/ palm sugar).
Sip slowly as it is spicy.