A rich, rose flavoured kheer with millets, perfect for special occasions. With step by step detailed pictures.
I saw this idea of kheer while browsing instagram and loved. I love rose flavour and the pleasant colour of the kheer. So wanted to try this out. It was samak ki gulabi kheer. I had little millet with me, so tried with it. Little millet in tamil is Samai. Little millet in Hindi is kutki.
The advantage of using millets in dessert is it looks beautiful, turns out homogenous. I have already made this millet kheer without any flavours and it turns out delicious too.
- Soak pistachios in water for minimum 30 mins. Peel the skin once soaked. Chop very finely and keep aside.
- Wash the millet and drain completely from water using metal strainer.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee, roast the millet for 2 mins in medium flame.
- Add milk to it and mix well. Add tiny pinch of salt.Pressure cook for 4 whistles in low flame. (Reduce flame to low, when whistle is about to come).
- Once pressure is released naturally, open the cooker add 3/4 cup water, sugar and heat in medium flame for 3 mins.
- Add rose water, food colour. Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with finely chopped pistachios.
You can have this warm, but I love chilled best 💖.