This kootu is not avial and tastes different from that. This is a nice accompaniment for rice. This is one of my mom’s staple recipe that we love.
My brother asks 2nd and 3rd servings if she makes this one. I try hard to recreate it, but she has a magic in her hand which turns it delicious, that magic is Love!
I love the coconut paste we grind along small onions and cumin seeds in this kootu. It gives an amazing flavor.
We add green peas, for protein and do not add dal for this. Also use English vegetables like carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower. You can also add cabbage for more homogenous texture.
Adding a little bit of rice flour gives thickness for the kootu. Since we do not add dal, this will help. Adding coconut oil at the end will smell great in the kootu.
Adding sugar helps to retain the colors of the vegetables.
Mixed vegetable kootu recipe
- ½ cup Beans
- ½ cup Carrot
- ½ cup Potato
- ½ cup Peas
- ½ cup Cauliflower
- Sugar A pinch
- Salt As needed
- ½ cup Coconut grated
- 4 Green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Small onion
- ½ teaspoon Rice flour
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Coconut oil
- Boil all the vegetables with salt and a pinch of sugar.½ cup Beans, ½ cup Carrot, ½ cup Potato, ½ cup Peas, ½ cup Cauliflower, Salt As needed, Sugar A pinch
- Let it retain the crunch and not soft.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut, green chilli with little water, to a smooth paste.½ cup Coconut, 4 Green chilies
- Then add onions, cumin seeds and rice flour to it and grind coarsely.1 teaspoon Cumin, 2 Small onion, ½ teaspoon Rice flour
- Add this ground paste to the cooked veggies, mix well and simmer for 3-5 minutes till kootu consistency is reached.
- Remove from fire and lastly temper with the ingredients under "for tempering " table, and mix well. Serve as an accompaniment for rice.½ teaspoon Mustard, 1 teaspoon Urad dal, 1 Sprig Curry leaves, 1 teaspoon Coconut oil
- Don’t boil the veggies with too much of water.
- Also do not over cook the veggies.
- Using small onion is preferred.
- Vegetables can be of your choice.
1. Boil all the mixed vegetable with salt and a pinch of sugar, just until cooked.
2. Don’t over cook, not too soft and without changing the color of the vegetables. This ensures the mixed vegetable kootu taste best.
3. Meanwhile, grind the coconut with little water, to a smooth paste.
4. Then add green chillies, onions, cumin seeds and rice flour to it and grind coarsely.
5. Add this ground paste to the cooked vegetables, mix well and simmer for 3-5 minutes till kootu consistency is reached.
6. Remove from fire and lastly temper with the ingredients under “for tempering “ table, and mix well. Serve as an accompaniment for rice.
Serve best with vathal kuzhambu or any tangy kuzhambu.