Mor kuzhambu is a easy and quick fix for a south Indian tamil lunch fix. Adding onion in the masala we grind, makes it really flavorful. Full video recipe.
I love mor kuzhambu, though already I have two versions, again I am posting this one is coz, this is my most favorite, the way my mom and MIL does. The only difference between the one made by them is, my mom grinds the paste coarsely, while MIL grinds smoothly.
Believe me, though both are similar recipes, it’s flavour and texture is so different. I was not a big fan of this until I got married. Once MIL made this and I told her I don’t like mor kuzhambu, but when I had it, I loved it. Then realised that only the coarse ground items were bothering me. These days I love to make it with onion only and loving it a lot. So here’s my one more version.
Mor kuzhambu with onion recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Lunch
Prep Time: 1 Hr soaking time | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
Curd – 1 & 1/2 cup
Vegetable (I used banana stem) – 1/2 cup
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Salt – As needed
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Toor dal – 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Small onion – 1
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Green chillies – 4
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mor kuzhambu method:
- Soak toor dal atleast 1 hr. Gather the rest of the ingredients under ‘To grind’ table. Meanwhile you can boil the vegetable you are going to add in mor kuzhambu.
- Grind the ingredients under ‘To grind’ table, in a blender to a smooth paste.
- Beat the curd smoothly. Mix curd, ground paste, turmeric well. Adjust water, approximately one more cup of water.
- Heat this over the flame and add the boiled vegetable.
- When it is about to boil, froths and raises switch off the flame immediately and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table and mix in the kuzhambu.
- Beat the curd smoothly before mixing the ground items. If not beaten properly, the kuzhambu may break and look like curdled milk.
- Do not boil the kuzhambu, just when it is about to boil, switch off the flame.
- You can use any vegetable like chow chow/ chayote, white pumpkin, brinjal, ladies finder etc.