Narthangai sadam is the most flavorful variety rice with simply the south Indian flavors. Let's see how to make this kalanda sadam with step by step photos.
Very recently I have started liking Narthangai/ citron. When in-laws came they got few narthangais and I made pachadi.
Now again when I got 3 big narthangais through my another mami from Karaikudi, I made pachadi with 2 and made narthangai sadam with one fruit’s juice.
And this is the first time I am making narthangai sadam. Being a mixed rice variety lover, I loved it so so much. Its same as lemon rice.
Very easy to make but very flavorful and tasty. If you in case get a chance to lay hands over these fruits, do try this with it.
Though the recipe is too simple, I still wanted to blog this 🙂
How to cook rice?
- Wash rice 2-3 times firstly. Drain water and cook with water ratio 1 :2 for 3 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Once done, transfer to a broad bowl and add a teaspoon of oil and a teaspoon of salt and mix carefully once and keep aside.
- If you are cooking basmati, after washing, quickly soak in hot water for 10 mins for longer grains.
- You can also reduce water quantity 1 & ½ cups for one cup of rice, if you want firmer texture.
I have used regular Sona masuri rice in this recipe below.
Narthangai sadam steps
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil, little salt to the cooked rice and separate the grains. Squeeze the citrion gently to get its juice.
2. In a pan, add oil, temper with the items given under ‘To temper table’. Add turmeric, salt and the squeezed juice and switch off the flame.
3. mix it to the cooked sadam and mix well and keep aside for 30 mins before serving.
Serve it with your favorite vegetable side dish and some fried vadams. I can it as such 😉
- ¼ cup Narthangai juice Ripe citron
- 3 cups Cooked rice
- ⅛ Turmeric
- Salt - As needed
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¾ teaspoon Mustard
- 2 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal
- 2 Red chilli
- Asafoetida - Generous pinch
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 4 Green chilli slit
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil, little salt to the cooked rice and separate the grains.
- Squeeze the citron gently to get its juice.
- In a pan, add oil, temper with the items given under ‘To temper table’.
- Add turmeric, salt and the squeezed juice and switch off the flame.
- Mix it to the rice and mix well and keep aside for 30 mins before serving.
- Do not squeeze citron too much as it will give bitterness.
- You can use orange squeezer to squeeze. Also do not press too hard.