Ingredients for neer urundai
- Idli Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Coconut, grated -½ cup
- salt & water – as needed
How to make neer urundai:
- Soak Idli rice for 3 hours.
- Grind to a batter just like we grind for Idli/dosa ,then add salt and coconut ,mix well.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel or Kadai and pour this batter.
- Keep on Stirring, till the batter turns to dough consistency.
- The consistency will be like,the dough is not much sticky if you make balls with your hands.
- After the dough cools down,it will not be sticky.
- Make small sized balls (sedai sized) using the dough.Keep aside.
- In another large vessel boil water and add these balls in two batches(water should be enough to immerse these balls).
- First add one portion of balls to water, cover with lid.
- Cook covered for 5-6 minutes.(Keep the lid a little open to avoid overflowing when it starts boiling)
- To check if the balls has been cooked or not,if u take out a ball and put it on a plate from little high,the ball should bounce a little. If its not cooked, it won’t be bouncing.
- By simply looking at the balls you can understand that the rice balls are cooked or not.There will be a colour change.
- Carefully take out the balls little by little,straining the water.
- I use idli cooker for cooking these balls.
- Don’t add water more than half of the vessel which ever vessel you use, as it boils it will overflow.
- Cook the second batch of balls in the same manner.
- The balls will be soft and tasty that it can be ate as such.
- Don’t waste the water, its consistency would now be like kanji(thick), so you can add jaggery and cardamom powder to it and boil for 2 minutes and add a little milk and have as a drink!
You can also add simply salt and butter milk to that water remaining and have it as a drink!
Or else you can also try the following:
Milagu jeeraga kozhukattai
- Pepper -1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – 1 spring
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Crush pepper and jeera coarsely.
- Heat ghee in a kadai and add pepper jeera powder followed by curry leaves.
- Then after some 30 seconds add these rice balls and mix gently so that the pepper jeera coats these balls.
The above measurements will serve 2 people.