Nungu rose milk is an amazing summer coolant as well as a super delicious drink that can be treat to your taste buds.
Nungu used to be a regular summer treat at home back in childhood days. We had no fridge and only artificial sugar summer treats were occasional, like rasna or kuchi ice from the push cart ice vendors.
Otherwise, it used to be regular, natural summer body coolants such as elaneer (tender coconut), nungu etc. After marriage, I realized fresh nungu is a luxury, during travels, we buy it every time.
For some one who used to buy palm fruit from known neighbors who harvest it from their lands, it was a new experience to treat nungu as some precious elixir.
Even worse, after coming here, when ever I bought palm fruit from wet market, it was not at all tender. Just buy and throw as it used to be so hard.
I never visited little India vegetable shops, so havent bought imported ones form India too. So once in a year only I get to eat 1 or 2 during our India trip.
This year, that too gone. When I was browsing for something I found these Nipa palm fruit (attap seed) is used here in Singapore. I am not sure if we get it fresh, but I found a canned one.
Thought of giving it a shot though I had no intention to buy it again as it is canned. Vj was not at all convinced to buy, but I badly wanted to try at least for blog posts sake. So got one pack and made couple of recipes. This nungu rose milk was really good with it.
I will recommend to use fresh palm fruit, as this is no where near the taste, flavour or texture. Yet it was like some nata-de-coco loaded rose milk. And also it was smelling like padhaneer.
I love padha neer but not a palm fruit that is padhaneer flavoured. This is known as attap seed here in Singapore. Also rose milk as Bandung. Can be translated as attap bandung drink.
Nungu rose milk
- ½ cup milk boiled & chilled
- 2 tablespoon rose syrup I used F&N
- ¼ cup palm fruit mashed roughly
- ¼ cup crushed ice
- Mash palm fruit if it is tender. Mine was not soft, so I pulsed using mixie.
- Gather all ingredients. In a serving glass, add first crushed ice. Then the palm fruit.
- Top it with boiled, chilled milk. Finally add rose syrup.
- Mix it and enjoy immediately.
1. Mash palm fruit if it is tender. Mine was not soft, so I pulsed using mixie.
2. Gather all ingredients. In a serving glass, add first crushed ice. Then the palm fruit.
3. Top it with boiled, chilled milk. Finally add rose syrup.
4. Mix it and enjoy immediately.
The texture, flavour takes you to a whole different level😍!