Orange peel vatha kuzhambu is a south Indian gravy pairs with rice, prepared in a tangy tamarind base, no onion no garlic orange peel vatha kuzhambu that is so simple to prepare.
A reader friend (Bhavadharini Krishna) sent me Orange peel vatha kuzhambu recipe couple of months back, I wanted to try it out as I love such citrus fruit fragrance when we prepare something from it. Lemon pickle, narthangai pachadi, orange peel rasam.
Now since it is Chinese New Year nearing by, I was so tempted to buy oranges from Fairprice as there are variety of oranges available during this time in Singapore.
Orange peel rasam was totally different flavour by which orange peel blends with those spices. Vatha kuzhambu was tasting really delicious, I loved it best. So if you have not tried this yet, please go ahead and try it out.
She asked me to try it out with idli milagai podi prepared with sesame seeds, I used my sambar powder too along.
How to make orange peel vatha kuzhambu step by step:
- Wash and chop the peeled orange skin roughly.
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract tamarind juice. Make it 2 cups. I usually pressure cook it when I cook rice, keeping separately in a small bowl. It is easy for extraction.
- Heat a kadai with oil, temper with 1/4 tsp methi seeds, 1/2 tsp mustard, 1 tsp toor dal, 1 torn red chilli, asafoetida and curry leaves. Add 3/4 cup chopped orange peel, 3 slit green chilli. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric, little salt and cook further more for a minute.
- Add to tamarind extract. Add 2 tsp sambar powder, required salt and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Once it reduces in volume, add idli chilli powder, mix well.
- Add jaggery, boil until the kuzhambu thickens. Switch off flame.