Orzo payasam recipe for New year dessert. Orzo is a type of pasta, shaped like a grain of rice, bit large in size. It is perfect choice for making pasta payasam, blends well in the recipe.
Orzo is totally new to me until I saw it during my Swiss trip. I loved the shape and took it immediately as I have never seen it or may be never noticed in Singapore. First thing I thought to try dishes with orzo was to use in payasam and soups. And I did used it all up in making payasam majorly as both Vj and Aj loved it like anything. Again I bought orzo in Singapore. Though the quality wasn’t same, I am glad it’s available. I should try some other Italian salad or something.
If you could get Orzo in your place, do try making payasam, it turns out really well. One thing I follow while making pasta payasam is, overcooking the pasta slightly so that it is really soft, tender and blends well in the payasam.
Made it today for the New Year sweet and wanted to post too on the first day of 2019 😍
Orzo payasam Step by step pictures
- Bring 3 cups of water to boiling in a vessel. Add orzo, salt to it and cook for 10 mins.
- Simmer for 4 mins in low flame to make it more soft. Add sugar, boil of 2 mins.
- Add condensed milk and milk.
- Boil furthermore in medium flame or low flame for 5 minutes. It will look thickened and homogenous.
- Switch off the flame, add powdered cardamom and broken cashews fried in ghee until golden and crisp. Mix well.
Serve warm or chilled, tastes great either ways