Learn how to prepare paal paniyaram recipe with full video and step by step pictures. Cute little paniyarams dunked in coconut milk.
We make paal kozhukattai, but chettinad paal paniyaram is totally new to me. I don’t remember I have tasted paal paniyaram before. I started to know about it only when I started blogging. I never thought to attempt it mainly because of the coconut milk factor. I make coconut milk atleast once in a month while making aapam, it is not a big deal for me to make coconut milk for breakfast. But somehow, I become lazy to make coconut milk when it is needed in any other sweet dishes like this.
The wet market here in Singapore sells whole coconut without shell if we want. Also we can request them to remove the brown skin and get it whole white coconut. It is really big one, I guess the Malaysian variety coconut. So whenever I make aapam, I get one and prepare coconut milk for aapam easily just by chopping it and grinding it.
Likewise I thought I should buy one and prepare coconut milk murukku for my blogpost. But changed my mind and thought I should prepare paal paniyaram, which is in my to try list for a long time now. I mainly wanted to know how it tastes. I was sure Vj would love it as it has coconut milk. It turned out really tasty as I guessed.
How to prepare paal paniyaram:
- First extract coconut milk by grinding coconut with water. You can do in two batches. Use 1/2 cup water at a time. So you will get appox 1 & 3/4 cup – 2 cups coconut milk(depending on the coconut).
- Heat milk with sugar, powdered cardamom. Once sugar dissolves, mix to the coconut milk and keep aside.
- Wash and soak rice, urad dal together for 3 hours. Drain water, grind to a smooth, fluffy batter using ice cold water.
- Mix salt to the batter and beat well. The batter should be light, not water or too heavy thick paste.
- Heat oil in kadai. When hot, put the flame to low or medium. Drop tiny balls of the prepared batter. Cook it well from all sides by stirring now and then.
- Once its pale golden in colour and cooked well inside, drain in paper towel. Add to the milk and serve.
As we are using coconut milk, it should be consumed immediately or refrigerate and consume within a day.