Pachai payaru sweet kozhukattai recipe with full video and step by step pictures. A flavourful and healthy kozhukattai recipe for the vinayagar chathurti.
When I tried vegetarian kaya, I thought I should try this pachai payaru sweet pooranam for kozhukattai this vinayagar chaturthi. Though the kaya version involves a lot of stirring as it uses coconut milk, this version of kozhukattai pooranam is easy to prepare as it uses just grated coconut. I made with just 1/4 cup of pachai payaru, to try it out. Usually I make kozhukattai with Baba’s Idiyappam flour, this time I got Anil kozhukattai flour from Mustafa and made this. It was good, only there was a slight texture difference. Baba’s flour is too fine, where as anil kozhukattai flour was coarse when compared. But the main thin for kozhukattai is to turn soft, moist, not dry or rubbery.
If you have pachai payaru at home, sure give it a try for this ganesh chaturthi or even for an evening snack. I have used organic jaggery powder, so refer notes for measurements to be adjusted if you are using other sweeteners.
How to prepare pachai payaru kozhukattai video
Step by step pictures
- First wash and soak green moong overnight. Next day, drain water, pressure cook with 3/4 cup water for 4-5 whistles.
- Mash well. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat mashed green moong, jaggery powder. It will become watery as jaggery melts.
- Add grated coconut, cardamom powder and keep cooking.
- At once stage, it will become thick. Switch off flame. Cool down and make equal sized balls out of it.
- To prepare dough, in a bowl, mix flour, salt, sesame oil. Boil water and add the hot water to flour.
- Once warm enough to handle, knead to a smooth dough. Divide into equal sized balls.
- Grease your hands with sesame oil. Make bowl shape out of the dough.
- Place the stuffing inside. Gather the sides to cover the stuffing and make modak shape. Refer video for easy understanding.
- Steam cook for 8 mins or until the outer cover is shiny.
Enjoy hot! Soft and filling pachai payaru sweet poorana kozhukattais.