Palkova recipe, with just two main ingredients – milk and sugar. Learn how to prepare traditional palkova with step by step pictures.
I don’t remember I properly have tried making palkova at home. I am not a big fan of palkova, it’s one of the reason I have not tried. Also I always had a thought it is a tedious process. I was in doubt if it is worth spending time, if it would turn out good or not. This time when I was going through the collections of Gokulashtami recipes, I saw the microwave theratipal and was thinking I should try palkova too.
All we need is milk and some patience. I referred to a cookbook I have and it turned out perfect. Both Vj and Aj loved it and it got over the same day.
Step by step pictures
- In a heavy bottomed, broad vessel, preferably non-stick pan, bring milk to boil.
- Let the flame be in medium. Scrape the sides and keep stirring in regular intervals. If you have wooden spoon, you can keep across the pan to prevent overflowing.
- At one stage, milk will reduce in volume and get thickened.
- When it is almost thick like a solid, add sugar.
- Sugar melts and again it will be loosened. Stir for 2 mins. Add ghee and continue stirring.
- Add powdered cardamom and keep stirring. At one stage, it will start leaving the sides.
- When it is thick and single pass follows the ladle, switch off the stove. As it cools, it gets more thick, so switch off accordingly. In the below picture, the second picture is after cooling down.
Enjoy it warm or cold. You can also use any moulds to shape it when it is warm.