Panakam recipe - How to prepare a perfect divine smelling and tasting Panagam with quick video, step by step pictures.
Amma makes panakam (panagam as we call in Tamil) and neer mor for Rama Navami as well as Tamil New Year. I make it often as I crave for edible camphor and jaggery combo often.
What is panakam?
Panakam or panagam is a lemon based drink similar to lemonade, except make it with jaggery for sweetening, add cardamom, dry ginger, edible camphor and tulsi leaves for flavor.
It is popularly made during summer and festivals like Ram Navami.
🎉 Rama Navami 2023 Date
Ram Navami / Rama Navami for this year 2023 falls on 30th May, Thursday. With Rama Navami coming up, why not prepare it and offer this to God, as well as enjoy yourself.
This is how my mom/ grandma used to make and I used to enjoy this a lot in my childhood days. Perfect thirst quencher for this summer too, smells and tastes D-I-V-I-N-E-L-Y !!
I always love jaggery and pachai karpooram (edible camphor) combo in sweet pongal and also in this.. My paati adds Thulasi (Holy Basil) though, since I didn't had I omitted in this recipe. Not to mention the desi Lemon, so flavorful and tangy.
In my childhood, the temple near our home gives pankam and neer more for free. Some volunteers will provide this on the day of ram navami, radha kalyanam or even when Thaipoosam when the people pull ‘charriot’(தேர்) around the streets nearby…
🌞 Summer drink
Panakam is also served as prasadam in temples. But we can enjoy this as thirst quencher when ever we need. It really is a soulful drink to me. This is so nutritious too when we use a good quality jaggery, with all natural ingredients. Desi sweetener are always best and it works as an exceptional thirst quencher.
Adding a pinch of salt gives balance to the drink, instead of being flat sweet.
- ½ cup Jaggery powdered
- 1 Lemon
- 2 Cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon Dry ginger powder Sukku
- 1 pinch Edible camphor Pachai karpooram
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 cups Water
- Holy basil leaves Thulasi
- 1 pinch Nutmeg powder optional
- Firstly, gather all ingredients needed.
- Then, dissolve the jaggery in water thoroughly.
- After that, squeeze lemon, add powdered cardamom,dry ginger powder, edible camphor, salt, nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Finally filter it using a strainer, add the thulasi leaves if desired and you can also add the skin of the cardamom without discarding it, as it adds more flavour.
- Adjust jaggery and lemon juice to suit your taste buds.
1. Firstly gather all the ingredients needed to prepare the drink.
2. After that, dissolve the jaggery in water, to this, squeeze lemon, add powdered cardamom, dry ginger powder, edible camphor, salt, nutmeg powder and mix well.
3. Finally, filter it using a strainer, add the thulasi leaves if desired and you can also add the skin of the cardamom without discarding it, as it adds more flavor.
Serve chilled though tastes great as such!!