Paneer do pyaza is an easy dish prepared with double the onions, hence the name. Soft paneer and crunchy onions, twice the amount in this paneer do pyaza recipe makes it so delicious!
If you are wondering what can you make from paneer, then can instantly prepare this for dinner or lunch with chapati or any roti. Such a filling dish because of paneer in it.
The star ingredient in this is paneer. Paneer can become bland if you do not spice it well, so make sure to use all the spices in the recipe as mentioned.
Check out my how to make paneer at home post if you wish to use homemade paneer.
- Small onions/ shallots
- Large onion
- Curd (Plain yogurt)
- Spice powders
- Coriander leaves
See recipe card for full list and quantities.
Is video more your thing? Watch quick video on my Youtube channel.
I used fresh paneer. So firstly I cut it to desired size. I wash it once and keep immersed in boiling hot water.
2. Smoothly beat curd and set aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil + ghee and add cumin seeds. After that, in goes slit green chilli and ginger.
3. Give it a stir. Then add small onions. Cook in low flame or medium flame until translucent.
4. After that add cubed onion and cook furthermore until translucent.
5. Add all the spice powders and give a quick stir in low flame.
6. Immediately add curd and fry until oil oozes. Takes around a minute.
7. Then add chopped tomato, salt.
8. Cook until tomatoes are soft and oozes oil.
9. Pour ¼ cup water and mix well. Bring to boil.
10. After that add paneer cubes drained form water.
11. Carefully mix and cook covered for 2 minutes. In between, carefully give a stir. After 2 minutes, switch off the flame.
12. Finally garnish paneer do pyaza with coriander leaves.
Serve with any pulao or roti. Serve hot the best!
Here are some alternate ingredients you can use in this recipe.
- Paneer - instead of paneer, you can use tofu. Shallow fry tofu and use in as in the recipe
- Curd - I used homemade curd, you can use plain yogurt or lactose free yogurt like coconut yogurt ot other vegan yogurts.
- Small onion/ shallot - Replace small onion with another large onion itself.
- Use only oil if you want to skip ghee and make it vegan.
Here are few ways to alter the recipe.
- Spicy - I added 2 green chilli (medium spice) slit along with the ginger. You can increase the number to make it spicy. I use Kashmiri chilli powder. You can use regular ones for spicier version.
- Gravy - Add ½ cup curd and ¼ cup cooking cream to make a gravy version.
- Kid friendly - add colorful capsicum in the same recipe along with tomatoes.
See this Kadai paneer recipe on my website which is similar to this paneer do pyaza recipe, but totally different flavor!
What is the meaning of pyaza?
Pyaz means onion in Hindi. So paneer do pyaza means with onions (double the onions)
How to keep paneer soft in Paneer do pyaza?
Firstly, choose good quality paneer. Malai paneer works best. Secondly, instead of frozen, go for fresh paneer.
Most importantly keep the paneer immersed in hot water until use. Never over cook as it makes paneer rubbery.
This Paneer do pyaza recipe is subji kind without much gravy base. Even if you have added ½ cup curd and cream as I have suggested, it would be just to coat the paneer.
So I usually finish within a day. Left overs can be stored in fridge and reheated properly before using. Add little water or cream or milk to loosen up and make sure to cook thoroughly for soft results.
I have not tried freezing, but paneer freezes well. You can prepare, cool down completely, freeze in airtight freezer safe container.
To use it, leave in counter top to defrost for about 30 mins. Then reheat as mentioned above.
- For soft paneer, use malai paneer and fresh paneer. I always use Milky mist as we get it here in singapore through out the year.
- Do not over cook the paneer. I usually add paneer to the dish and cook no more than 4 minutes (under).
- If you want, you can shallow fry and add if you feel your paneer will go crumbly. Same way, keep it immersed in hot water until use. This way it will remain soft.
- Make sure to use not very sour curd. If you do, adjust spice to balance the sourness.
Paneer Do Pyaza recipe
- I used fresh paneer. So firstly I cut it to desired size. I wash it once and keep immersed in boiling hot water.
- Smoothly beat curd and set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil + ghee and add cumin seeds. After that, in goes slit green chilli and ginger.
- Give it a stir. Then add small onions. Cook in low flame or medium flame until translucent.
- After that add cubed onion and cook furthermore until translucent.
- Add all the spice powders and give a quick stir in low flame.2 teaspoon Red chilli powder, 1 tablespoon Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon Amchoor powder, ½ teaspoon Garam masala, ¼ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds powder
- Immediately add curd and fry until oil oozes. Takes around a minute.
- Then add chopped tomato, salt.
- Cook until tomatoes are soft and oozes oil.
- Pour ¼ cup water and mix well. Bring to boil.
- After that add paneer cubes drained form water.
- Carefully mix and cook covered for 2 minutes. In between, carefully give a stir. After 2 minutes, switch off the flame.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- I used more paneer than mentioned, so please note the looks may not be the same.
- If your curd is sour, try to reduce amchoor powder to ½ tsp.
- I like to use 2 tablespoon of cream while re heating or if I want more gravy.
- You can add 2 teaspoon of kasuri methi too in this recipe.