Paneer ghee roast is a simple starter prepared within minutes using Indian cottage cheese with flavorful spices, ingredients available in your pantry.
Make this as starter or snack, it tastes great as such. You can also serve it with any variety rice.
Check out my Paneer 65 recipe and easy snack paneer pakora recipe in my website.
I came to know that paneer ghee roast exists only in recent time. I saw this in Divya's Instagram and loved the name.
I wanted to try this out for long time, adapted the recipe . I made it using their fresh paneer for the recent live demo at Singapore expo.
Turns out delicious every single time. You can prepare this as quick fix for your hunger pangs or as starter of your meal too.
There are many variations in the recipe, but I adapted this one as it was very simple. Just made a few changes in preparation according to the convenience and the fresh paneer.
Since paneer is the main ingredient in this recipe, the quality is really important. Make sure to use malai paneer or fresh paneer for best results.
Check out my paneer recipes collection or browse the category below:
Paneer ghee roast recipe
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- 500 gm Paneer - 500 gms
- 4 tablespoon Ghee - 4 tbsp
- 4 Garlic - 4 flakes
- Salt to taste
- Coriander or curry leaves for garnish
- 6 tablespoon Thick curd
- 1 Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Roast in a teaspoon of ghee
- 8 Kashmiri Red chillies
- 2 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Tamarind
- Add a teaspoon of ghee firstly to a pan.
- Roast the ingredients under ‘Masala’ except tamarind. Once the spices are golden, add tamarind, give it a stir.
- Remove in a plate for cooling down.
- After that, grind it with curd to a paste.
- Furthermore, add turmeric, salt and lemon juice.
- Mix in cubed paneer carefully. You can keep it for marination about 1 hour. I have made immediately, still good.
- Heat a pan, add ghee followed by crushed garlic.
- Aafter that, add cubed paneer, marinated in curd masala paste.
- Cook until masala coats the paneer and ghee oozes finally. Do not over cook as it will make paneer hard.
- If you are using frozen paneer, keep immersed in hot water until soft and then use in the recipe.
- Take care not to break the paneer. Stir occasionally.
- While roasting, take care not to burn the cumin seeds.
Paneer ghee roast steps
- Add a teaspoon of ghee firstly. Then roast the ingredients under 'Masala' except tamarind. Once the spices are golden, add tamarind, give it a stir.
2. Remove in a plate for cooling down. After that, grind it with curd to a paste.
3. Furthermore, add turmeric, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
4. Keep immersed in hot water until then. Add paneer drained from water to the prepared masala paste. Mix carefully without breaking paneer.
5. Heat a kadai, add ghee followed by crushed garlic. After that, add marinated paneer cubes.
6. Cook until masala coats the paneer, gets roast and ghee oozes. Finally garnish with coriander or curry leaves.
Enjoy immediately hot.
Mam! Wonderful recipes! But do us the cooking in iron / clay pan.. heard these non stick pans are dangerous. Take care.
Paneer isn't a protein that needs marination. If u add the paneer in the pan for so long till the oil leaves the masala mixture, it renders the paneer devoid of any moisture and doesn't taste as good. U might want to add the paneer cubes after the masala has been cooked. Since this is a veg version of the famous kundapur chicken ghee roast the same principle applied to the paneer might work but not brilliantly.
Wow! Zainab, your views are very informative...