Learn how to make Paneer kurma, paneer kuruma. Paneer in a coconut, cashew, spices, onion, tomato based gravy. Fennel seeds makes the kurma really flavourful that will linger in your tastebuds.
I have been making veg makhani with paneer for many days now, being Aj’s favorite. I wanted to make paneer in kurma style which I make usually. I had fresh paneer in stock, so wanted to try kurma for dinner, clicked along for posting here too. I usually skip tempering soambu aka fennel seeds as Vj hates fennel seeds.
But I just love the flavour a lot in Brinji and kurmas. it really elevates the flavour of the dish. Just make sure no to use too much. It turned out really good, if you want, you can add on few boiled veggies like beans, peas and carrot. Use good quality soft paneer/ fresh paneer for best results and cut into smaller cubes.
Step by step pictures preparation of paneer kurma
- Place coconut, cashews, green chilli in a blender and grind it with 1/2 cup water to a smooth paste.
- Finely chop onion, tomato, coriander and mint leaves. Keep paneer immersed in hot water. Gather all other masala powders needed.
- Heat a kadai with oil, add cinnamon, cloves, stone flower and fennel seeds. Add onion and fry for a minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook further more for 30 seconds.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, masala powder, coriander seeds powder and cook well until tomatoes are soft and gooey.
- Add ground paste, mint leaves and cook for a minute in medium flame.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups to 2 cups water and mix well.
- Add paneer cubes and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 6-8 minutes or until the gravy is thick. Switch off stove, add lemon juice, coriander leaves.