Paneer tikka masala recipe with paneer tikka preparation over tawa. Learn how to make paneer tikka masala with video and step by step pictures.
Paneer tikka is family favorite at home. Aj and Vj loves it. I too like it, but rarely make at home, mostly have it at restaurants. We love the flavour that tandoor gives to paneer tikka, that’s why we love it in restaurant rather homemade. When preparing at home, I found butter is main ingredient also giving a slight char so that we get the restaurant style flavour in paneer tikka. Butter + smokey flavour is what I love about tikkas.
I have not tried paneer tikka masala before. This is the first time I made and thought I will post too. I made it with 2 tbsp of cream and it was rich according to Aj’s preference. I would suggest to add less cream to get a spicy and more darker gravy if you want.
Though it looks like more steps, it only two parts – prepare tikka, prepare masala.
Paneer tikka marination
- Take curd, 1 tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp kitchen king masala, chaat masala, ¼ tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of turmeric in a mixing bowl. Mix well until smooth.
- Add paneer cubes*, capsicum, onion and deseeded tomato – all cube cut. Mix gently to coat evenly. Keep inside fridge for marination until prepare gravy.
Paneer tikka masala preparation
- In a kadai/ pan, heat 1 tbsp oil or butter. Add garlic, ginger and give it a stir. Add roughly chopped onion and fry till transparent.
- Chopped tomatoes goes in and cook for a minute or until tomato is soft.
- Cool down completely. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat remaining oil or butter in kadai. Add cardamom and roast for 10 secs. Add ground paste, 1 & ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp dhaniya powder, ½ tsp kitchen king masala, pinch of turmeric and 1 tsp kasoori methi.
- Mix and keep cooking until the masala shrinks, become shiny and oil oozes out.
- Add ¾ cup water and boil for 2 mins.
- Add 1 tbsp fresh cream and lower the flame. Mix well and heat until gravy starts bubbling. Switch off the stove.
Prepare paneer tikka on tawa and mixing
- Take the marinated paneer from fridge. Heat a tawa, smear with a tsp of butter. Add ½ the marinated cubes and arrange it properly.
- Cook in medium flame and add butter if necessary. Turn occasionally to roast all the sides. Remove in plate once done. Add to gravy. Mix gently and repeat for the remaining marinated cubes.
- Serve with fresh cream. You can save some tikka without adding to the gravy and serve as such.