Simple and easy yellow pumpkin, parangikai also known as manjal poosanikai kootu recipe, that goes well with puli kuzhambu, vathal kuzhambu and kara kuzhambu.
I make kootu more often at home to escape from sambar, as it is the only thing Aj and Vj eats in common next to sambar. I can make sambar maximum 3 times a week, not more than that as it kind of bores me to make it every day. Made this paragikkai kootu last time when I made mango murngakkai vatha kuzhambu. Clicked with a surprise that I have not yet posted in my blog yet.
Very simple and basic kootu, made similar to sorakkai kootu. I was not sure about adding dal in this kootu, if my mom and mom in law adds or not, but I added it.
Step by step pictures:
- Pressure cook moong dal, meanwhile chop the yellow pumpkin. In a vessel, add chopped yellow pumpkin and add water to immerse the yellow pumpkin (a little less than that, to be precise). Add turmeric, salt to it and let it get cooked soft.
- Grind coconut with cumin seeds.
- Stir in the ground coconut, cooked dal and mix well.
- Boil for 2 mins in medium flame.
- Temper with the items given under “To temper” in order. Mix it with kootu.
Serve as accompaniment for rice along with kuzhambu. We even mix with rice and ghee to have kootu sadam.