Pasta payasam is an awesome fusion recipe with jaggery, milk and cardamom. Cute little pasta shapes works well in this recipe.
Payasam is a traditional south Indian sweet/ dessert, mostly made with jaggery and rice based or with dal.
But when pasta got introduced in south India, many people tried payasam with it.
Pasta got various south Indian make overs. My MIL also uses it in poriyals like the one I have posted – Cabbage poriyal with pasta.
My FIL always keep saying, how it will be when we make pasta in paal kozhukattai style.
So I wanted to make pasta with jaggery as payasam.
Two things we have to make sure while making pasta payasam for best taste.
Firstly choose tiny pasta shapes and secondly, make sure to cook the pasta extra soft.
Local pasta varieties (quick cook) works best as it is thin and gets done faster, blends well too.
So let's see how to make a delicious pasta payasam in this post.
Pasta payasam step by step
- First boil enough water and cook pasta until soft with little salt. Check pasta package for specific time and instructions.
- Melt powdered jaggery in another vessel with water just to immerse it.
- Once jaggery completely dissolves, filter it through a metal strainer, in the cooked pasta. Simmer for a minute.
- Side by side boil milk.
- Add the boiled milk to the pasta in low flame. Add corn flour dissolved in a tablespoon of water and add it to the payasam.
- Fry cashew in ghee until golden, add to the payasam along with crushed cardamom. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Serve warm or chilled, tastes good both ways!
Pasta payasam recipe
- ½ cup Pasta I used tiny shell shape
- ¾ cup Jaggery crushed
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Corn flour White corn starch
- 1 Cardamom
- 6 Cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- Firstly, boil enough water (3 cups) and cook pasta until soft with little salt. Check pasta package for specific cooking time and instructions.
- Then, boil powdered jaggery in another vessel with water just to immerse it (¼ cup water).
- Once jaggery completely dissolves, filter it through a metal strainer, in the cooked pasta. Boil for a minute.
- Side by side boil milk.
- Once boiled, add the milk to the pasta in low flame. Then add corn flour dissolved in a tablespoon of water and add it to the payasam.
- Mix well and simmer. We add corn flour for homogenous texture of payasam.
- Finally fry cashew in ghee until golden, add to the payasam along with crushed cardamom.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
- Choose small shaped pasta for a homogenous taste.
- After adding jaggery, pasta wont get cooked. So make sure to get pasta cooked soft before you add jaggery. Otherwise texture wont be good in payasam
- Adding corn flour gives a smooth texture to the payasam.Don’t skip it.
- Salt is important, otherwise it will taste bit bland/ flat.
- Adjust jaggery as per your taste.
Such an innovative recipe Raji..looks too good
Yummy! Very clean and detailed explanation.
Nice and innovative receipe...btw what kind of vessel u used to boil jaggery
Its called VISIONS 🙂
I tried and it came super tasty!! Am a great fan of your recipes.. thanks a lot !!
Can we use sugar instead of jaggery ?
Can we add coconut milk instead of cow milk?
Sure you can, just add after switching off the stove. Later just heat for 2 mins in low heat, don't boil. Also shelf life is less. Conusme within couple of hours or refrigerate to consume within the day.