Peanut rice is an easy comfort variety rice. I prepare this in a jiffy and always handy for the lunch box.
🍚 Cooking rice
- You can use leftover rice, preferably separate grains. You can also cook rice specifically but with less water ratio comparatively. I usually use Sona masuri, for 1 cup rice I use 2 & ¼ cup water. You can adjust this from 2 cups - 2 & ½ cups depending on the rice variety.
- Wash the rice well for 2-3 times until the water runs clear. Add measured water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in medium flame after pressure builds up. Once pressure releases naturally, spread cooked rice in a broad plate or mixing bowl.
Add a drizzle of sesame oil or ghee to prevent sticking together. Cool down before mixing it to peanut mixture.
I used roasted peanuts available in shops, but if you are having raw peanuts, you can easily roast the peanuts at home.
Stove top - Heat a pan and dry roast the peanuts in in medium flame first for 2 mins. Later, put the flame to low and stir occasionally. You will see the peanuts crack open as it gets roasted. Never do in high flame as it will result in uneven roasting.
Oven - You can roast the peanuts in oven too. I usually buy raw peanuts and roast it as soon as I open the pack and then store it. Spread the peanuts in a baking sheet as single layer. Pre-heat oven at 170 deg C for 10 mins.
Roast the peanuts in middle rack for 5 mins first. Then rotate the tray or stir the peanuts and again bake for 3-5 mins or until the peanuts or roasted. Keep an eye after first five minutes as depending on your oven, you can change the timing.
I always love all mixed rice varieties. I don’t even need any side dish, just a papad or vadavam is enough for me and I eat unlimited . For the same reason I rarely make, since vj also doesn’t prefer any mixed rice variety.
He says it's too dry to eat that it chokes. I make a kootu to ease this and it works perfect in my family.
When it comes to food, me and Vj are just contrast. I though rarely give him once in a while for his lunch. And I beg to adjust for a day. But today I just made for myself and made it spicy as I wanted to eat something spicy to melt down my blocked nose.
Peanut rice recipe, easy lunch box ideas
- 1 cup Rice I used raw rice
- ½ cup Roasted peanuts
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Ghee/ sesame oil
- Salt - As needed
- ¾ teaspoon Sesame seeds - ¾ tsp
- 3 Red chilles - 3
- ¼ cup Grated coconut
- ½ tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
- Pressure cook rice and cool down to make the cooked grains separate by adding required salt and ghee/sesame oil.
- De skin the peanuts. Roast the sesame seeds, chilli and lastly add the coconut and fry until golden.
- Powder the chilli first roughly and then add other roasted items and peanuts. Grind into a coarse powder.
- Temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table and add turmeric to it. Add it to the rice and mix well.
- I always soak rice for long hours to cook it with very less water and that gives u separate grains as well as soft to eat.
- You can even add more sesame if you like to have that flavor dominating.
- The ingredient ratio is different from the original recipe to adjust my taste.
1. First, pressure cook rice and cool down to make the cooked grains separate by adding required salt and ghee/sesame oil.
2. Skin off the peanuts. Roast the sesame seeds, chilli and lastly add the coconut and fry until golden.
3. Powder the chilli first roughly and then add other roasted items and peanuts. Grind into a coarse powder.
4. Temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table and add turmeric to it. Add it to the rice and mix well.
Serve with papad or any vadams, or if you like with any kootu or spicy curry.