Millet seedai recipe, seedai prepared from scratch with little millet, black pepper added for spice and unique flavour.
How to make pepper seedai:
- Wash millet well, soak for 3 hours. once done, wash again, drain and spread over a clean cotton towel for 15 mins.
- Powder this well in a mixie to a fine flour. Wipe the sides in between to ensure even texture. Sieve the flour gently.
- Roast the flour in medium flame until steam rises, you should be able to draw a line with flour. Do not roast in high flame and change the colour of the flour.
- Sieve flour again.
- I used store bought urad dal flour, so roasted it too slightly. I also slightly heated up pottukadalai flour.
- Mix rice flour, urad dal flour, pottukadalai flour, butter, sesame seeds, crushed black pepper, asafoetida, salt well. (I made only half quantity than mentioned in ingredients)
- Add water little by little and knead to a smooth dough. Roll gently without applying much pressure into tiny balls. Arrange in a cotton towel or plate, no need to cover.
- Heat enough oil, and fry the seedai in batches. Once you add the seedai in oil, put the flame to medium. After sometime, stir and cook in low flame until bubble and sound ceases completely and turns golden in colour. Drain in paper towel. repeat to finish.
Cool down completely before storing in airtight container.