Pesarattu with upma -South Indian breakfast idea, menu 2 consisting filter coffee and chutney. For my breakfast menu series.
This week it’s breakfast menu. Yes, I am back in track with this one for my lunch/ breakfast menu series. I really really wanted to make this when my in-laws were here.
But when I asked mami, she said, why you are doing two things, just keep it simple. I was skeptical if they would like this or not, so I avoided making this. I wish I made it, definitely my FIL would have enjoyed a slight variety breakfast menu.
In-fact, I myself have not made this combo so far – pesarattu + upma together. I very well know it’s a combo meant for each other and its also known as MLA pesarattu.
I have also tasted this combo back in Chennai at ID Sathyam cinemas and I loved it. Rava upma is my most favorite, so is there any better reason needed for me to like it?
It’s not that complicated to make it too… You can spend less time in kitchen, still make your family/ guests a special breakfast, that is filling. Here’s how I made to convince you.
Tip of the week
I usually grate bulk in my ultra wet grind coconut scraper attachment and store in small zip locks. Defrost and use when ever I need.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Breakfast
Prep Time: 12 hrs | Cook time: 40 mins | Serves: 4
- Soak whole green moong (paasi payaru)-1 cup overnight in a big enough vessel and enough water as it absorbs a lot of water and becomes double.
- Morning on wake up, grind it in mixie to keep it simple. Its lot easier than grinding in grinder. This time I ground it smoothly. Though it doesn't need any standing time, I keep it for 2 hours aside.
- Grate coconut for chutney – I usually grate bulk in my ultra wet grind coconut scraper attachment and store in small zip locks. Defrost and use when ever I need.
- Chop onions, green chillies for rava upma. Chop 2 onions for spreading over pesarattu as well. Peel required ginger for the chutney and if needed for upma too.
- Fry the onion slightly, meant for spreading over pesarattu and keep a side. Temper for chutney in a bowl. Roast rava (1 cup) for upma and prepare upma. Grind chutney.
- At the time of serving breakfast, make pesarattu, spread some onion, then a ladle full of upma and fold into a triangle as I have done here in this dosa or just fold as we do for the usual masala dosa.
Serve hot with the best combo ginger chutney or allam chutney and our own filter coffee! 😊 Scroll down for recipes.
Pesarattu is a healthy breakfast made with whole green gram dal. It is very easy to prepare too. Once in a while, it is a great idea to include this legume in your menu.
Allam chutney is the perfect match for pesarattu. It is tangy, spicy and appetizing ginger flavor, totally made for each other.
This is my filter coffee recipe post with all tips and tricks I know shared in this. Do have a read.
Hope you all are enjoying the weekend. Lets meet with another interesting recipe!