Pizza sandwich is easy to prepare lunch box as well as snack, kids will finish without any complain. With simple ingredients available.
I have been making this for years now, but few days back when I saw buzzfeed video on making grilled pizza sandwich, I decided to post here in my blog too.
Few of Aj’s friends love this and I always pack extra for them when I pack this for Aj’s lunch box.
Easy to us to make and kids also love this. The stuffing inside can be varied according to your kid’s preference.
Aj always prefer these kind of tiffin items for lunch box. It is easy for him to finish fast and play at the lunch time.
When I was a kid, lunch will always be rice. I remember my parents carry lunch box to our school for me and my brother.
They never wanted us to eat packed lunch box that is not hot. Until I was in nursery, my mom will carry lunch for me and my brother.
I wonder how she managed, being in a joint family, among all her daily chores and after cooking, without any tiredness she used to carry lunch for us in the hot sun and walk few Kms.
After we went to high school, it was my dad who bring lunch for us in cycle.
Never realized how lucky we were and how much even small things matter to them.
Later when we grew up, we used to go home and have lunch. Aj also like hot food, but he is not ready to even carry an extra lunch bag, if I think I should pack his lunch in hot box.
I get many queries on how to clean the sandwich maker afterwards.
The key is not to make it messy! Here are some things I follow.
- Though I used cheese slices initially as in this recipe, I started using grated mozzarella later. Since it is frozen and less flowy once melted, it saves the mess.
- Even if you are using cheese slices, try to go for gourmet cheese slices (real cheese) rather than the singles (processed).
- You can follow the way as I tear and fold the cheese slices, rather than keeping as such inside.
- Do not over stuff with vegetables. This also helps you bread packing the things inside (sides will get sealed easily without gaps preventing cheese oozing out).
And finally, if at all it oozes, do not let it stay in it for long time. Wipe off as soon as possible. If you heat along, it will get stuck, especially the processed cheese slices are bad!
Never use sharp items like knife to scrap as it may damage the coating, making it worse to clean next time.
You can dampen the hardened cheese inside with a little sprinkle of water while the sandwich maker is hot and keep closed for soaking.
Later you can wipe off easily once it is loosened.
If you want to do justice to the name, get cheese pull, go for mozzarella cheese! Also make sure to use dried Italian herbs like basil, oregano etc. I make use of the herbs they give when order in Pizza.
1. Heat the sandwich maker (You can make in dosa pan too). Meanwhile, gather the ingredients needed. Apply pasta sauce to the bottom bread of the sandwich.
2. Keep the onion tomato capsicum in two sides, so that each triangle is filled with the stuffing. Over it, place the cheese slices, torn and folded so that it wont ooze out easily in the sides.
3. In a well greased sandwich maker or pan, toast these sandwiches until golden and crisp.
You can wrap in aluminium foil after cooling and pack for lunch box.
Pizza sandwich recipe
- 4 Bread slices
- 2 tablespoon Pasta sauce or pizza sauce
- 2 Cheese slice or grated mozzarella
- ½ cup Onion, tomato, capsicum chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon Oregano or any dried Italian herb
- Butter to smear
- Heat the sandwich maker (You can make in a pan too).
- Meanwhile, gather the ingredients needed.
- Apply sauce to the bottom bread of the sandwich.
- Keep the onion tomato capsicum in two sides, so that each triangle is filled with the stuffing.
- Over it, place the cheese slices, torn and folded so that it wont ooze out easily in the sides. Or place the grated cheese over the topping.
- In a well greased sandwich maker or pan, toast these sandwiches until golden and crisp.
- You can use grated mozzarella or mixed cheese blend like Italian or mexican available.
- Can also use pizza sauce or tomato ketchup plus italian seasoning in place of pasta sauce. My pasta sauce always have herbs in it.
- Chilli flakes are optional. If your kid cannot handle heat, avoid it.
- I used very less cheese. If you want more you can add, but keep in mind that the cheese may ooze out as the sandwich gets toasted. Then cleaning will be a mess.
- You can make the same in grill (Dosa pan) too..