Poosanikai thayir pachadi, is a refreshing and tangy accompaniment in a south Indian lunch with ash gourd. I have shared an easy method you can whip up in minutes to complete your meals.
You can make this any time of the year, but especially during summer when you need to consume a lot of water rich vegetables. Also an excellent part of south Indian meals or an Onam Sadhya.
I learnt this easy Poosanikai thayir pachadi recipe from my SIL here in SG. This is very very easy to prepare, yet makes an wonderful accompaniment for sambar rice or any other rice dishes.
So I wanted to blog this recipe for long time. All the recipes I learnt from her are delicious but made with less effort! Try this with any stuffed parathas, it would be nice too.
Poosanikai in English is called as ash gourd as well as white pumpkin.
It is called kumbalanga in Malayalam and vellai poosani in Tamil.
Step by step images
- Firstly remove the seeds, centre soft part of the ash gourd and peel off the skin too. Grate it.
2. Then, take it in a microwaveable bowl and cook for 4 minutes in high. Make sure you stir in between twice.
3. Meanwhile, grind the items given under ‘To grind’ table to a smooth paste and mix it with the cooked ash gourd.
4. After that, once cooled down, mix in the curd.
5. Lastly, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table and mix well.
Poosanikai thayir pachadi recipe
- 1 cup Ash gourd/poosanikai grated
- ½ cup Curd
- ¼ cup Coconut grated
- 3 Green chillies
- ½ teaspoon Jeera/cumin seeds
- Water - as needed
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 pinches Asafoetida
- Remove the seeds and centre soft part of the ash gourd and peel off the skin too. Grate it.
- Take grated ash gourd in a microwaveable bowl and cook for 4 minutes in high.
- Make sure you stir in between twice.
- Grind Coconut, Green chillies, cumin seeds, little Water to a smooth paste and mix it with the cooked ash gourd.
- After cooled down,mix in the curd.
- Temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ and mix well.