Potato masala chips is an instant snack prepared with potato, gram flour, rice flour, chilli powder and sesame seeds as main ingredients. Full video, step by step detailed post.
Aj and myself love the potato masala chips we get in A2B a lot. I like to have it as a side dish for lunch.
When I was kid, a chef who came for cooking for a home function prepared this as a part of menu, as varuval.
Me and my mom were awed by the way he prepared this in a jiffy. I always wanted to try this out at home.
Though I had A2B chips in mind, I could not match that taste but it was very much same as the chef's preparation.
You can prepare potato masala chips as a part of your meal or for a quick snack.
Just 2 potatoes will be enough for two people's tea time snack. I have used a larger grater which is best for this chips preparation.
Make sure to use similar one if you plan to prepare. Also If you plan to make in bulk and store, mix little by little for best results.
I was thinking what could be perfect to name this snack, then gave the same as it is sold in A2B.
Potato masala chips recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Snack
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 3 | Author: Raks anand
Potato - 2
Gram flour - ¼ cup
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric - ⅛ tsp
Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
Salt - as needed
Oil - to deep fry
- If you keep the mixture for long time, it will leave out water, so mix small batches. Even if it leaves out water, do not disturb the mixture by mixing, just add the mixture in sprinkled way over the oil.
- If there is more water is more, the flour gets together leaving potato plain. So take care to keep the mixture without water.
- My 1 grated potato was ½ cup.
Step by step pictures
- Peel the skin of potato and keep immersed in water. Use a grater with large holes and grate the potatoes.
- Grate the potatoes by starting from one end and finish in other end so that you get longer grated potato, otherwise will fall short.
- Keep the grated potato immersed in water and wash well. Drain completely without water in potato.
- Take grated potato in a mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients except oil.
5. Mix well to coat the potatoes. Heat oil in kadai. Once hot, add the potato mixture in a sprinkled way.
6. Deep fry by stirring occasionally. Keep the flame in medium once you turn the potato chips. Once golden and crisp, drain over paper towel.
Serve as accompaniment for rice or even snack along with tea/ coffee.