Puli koozh is a tangy breakfast, dinner made with rice, tamarind as main ingredients. Quick and easy to prepare puli koozh. Some call it as puli upma too.
Amma makes koozh for breakfast very often. Because my bro loves koozh, all sort of koozhs like mor koozh, puli koozh or plain koozh. I was not a big fan, even now not very much, upma fan forever 🤩
Whenever the verum arisi dosa batter is leftover, then amma quickly makes koozh with coconut oil and serves as evening snack for us. I have already posted mor koozh, with millets, thought of posting puli koozh the way amma makes. I have used idli rice, it gives really tasty results. You can also use other eating rice/ raw rice.
After long time I had puli koozh and loved the vazhuk vazhuk koozh that went inside throat like halwa, even I gave some to Vj, he too loved koozh. Puli koozh is also called as puli upma or kali.
How to make puli koozh Step by step pictures:
- Wash, soak idli rice for minimum 3 hrs. Soak tamarind in hot water (¼ cup).
- Drain water and grind the rice with ½ cup water until really smooth.
- Extract tamarind juice with another ¼ cup. Heat a kadai with oil. Splutter mustard, add torn red chilli, urad dal, chana dal, asafoetida and lastly curry leaves.
- Add 2 cups water under sim and add turmeric, salt.
- Add the ground rice batter immediately and keep stirring as you pour.
- Keep stirring and at once stage the colour changes as the batter gets cooked.
- Once translucent and thick, cook covered. Cook for 5 mins and garnish with sesame oil.