Quinoa black bean salad is an easy and filling salad, can be had as an wholesome meal. Quick video post.
I wanted to try a salad with quinoa as I had some in my pantry for long time. Love fried rice style quinoa the most.
Haven't tried much other than lemon rice style and patties. But somehow wanted to try a salad with it and planned to try and post here.
Quinoa (pronounce) is a very nutritious seed, categorized as a whole grain. It is an excellent source of fiber.
Quinoa is rich in amino acid (building blocks of protein) as well as rich in vitamin and minerals which makes it wholesome.
Black bean is also good for your bone strength, and many more factors like help managing diabetics, known to prevent cancer.
So do you need any other factor to include this in your diet?
This quinoa black bean salad is delicious by itself. But here are some ways to jazz it up / improvise it.
Want it to suit your Indian taste buds or someone like me who is not a salad lover :
- I always love a sweet touch to my vinaigrette. So add a teaspoon of honey or ½ teaspoon sugar along with lemon juice. This gives depth in taste, enhancing other tastes.
- The original recipe calls for cumin powder. But I saw a Tex-Mex style salad which uses 'chilli powder' that has flavour similar to my sambar powder. So sprinkle at the time of eating. I tried this and loved it a lot. You can add curry powder if you have no idea what is sambar powder.
- Corn adds more taste/ flavor so replace half the beans with corn.
- Make sure to season well with salt, lime juice.
- Instead of garlic powder you can use 1 minced fresh garlic clove.
This salad can be made in bulk and used for the whole weekday's lunch box if you are working.
But what I personally suggest is, instead of mixing and keeping the ingredients like onion, Cook the quinoa and black bean in bulk for the week.
Chop the veggies alone freshly and toss if you have time. At least the garlic and onion.
Red quinoa can be swapped for the regular one. Any legume can be used like red kidney bean, chickpeas in place of black beans.
Use sweet corn or bell peppers for more colorful looking salad.
Quinoa black bean salad
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 cup Black bean cooked
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ¾ cup tomato chopped/ I used cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cucumber Diced
- ½ cup coriander finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1 Birds eye chilli or 1 Jalapeno
- Salt & pepper
How to cook quinoa
- Wash quinoa well and strain using a metal strainer.
- Add water in 1:2 ratio (½ cup quinoa, 1 cup water) and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Once done, fluff with fork.
How to cook black bean:
- Wash and soak black bean for ½ hour. Drain the water once done.
- Boil 4 -5 cups water and the bean with required salt.
- Bring to boil, simmer until soft. Take 15-20 mins.
- Drain and set aside.
- Gather all ingredients required. Take onion, tomato, cucumber, coriander, chilli, garlic powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, lime juice, salt, black pepper and mix well.
- In goes cooked quinoa and black bean. Mix to serve.
- You can cook quinoa and black bean ahead, store in refrigerator and use for 5 days.
- You can use any legume like red kidney bean, chana or canned bean too.
- Sweet corn, red bell pepper can be added.
- Use ground cumin or red chilli powder or Tex-Mex seasoning for more flavour.
How to cook quinoa
1. Wash quinoa well and strain using a metal strainer.
2. Add water in 1:2 ratio (½ cup quinoa, 1 cup water) and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame.
3. Once done, fluff with fork.
How to cook black bean
1. Wash and soak black bean for ½ hour. Drain the water once done.
2. Boil 4 -5 cups water and the bean with required salt.
3. Bring to boil, simmer until soft. Take 15-20 mins.
4. Drain and set aside.
1. Gather all ingredients required. Take onion, tomato, cucumber, coriander, chilli, garlic powder in a mixing bowl.
2. Add olive oil, lime juice, salt, black pepper and mix well.
3. In goes cooked quinoa and black bean. Mix to serve.
I loved it for lunch and it was quite filling. Black bean is my favorite ingredient in this salad.