Ragi kara kozhukattai recipe with step by step pictures. Delicious, as well soft kozhukattai recipe with urad dal. A healthy breakfast recipe to start your day. This is the first time I am making kozhukattai with ragi. I have made dosa, adai and kanji. Have tasted other kezhvaragu dishes like ragi puttu, ragi sevai, but first time making kozhuakttai. When I was thinking to post some kozhukattai recipe without rice flour, as well as savory version, I thought I will try this easy pidi kozhukattai with ragi.
I was in doubt while making and until I ate, if it would turn out soft or rubbery/ dry. But it turned out really soft and moist. Best part is it stayed soft even after cooled down. I made it for breakfast today and thought of posting too. I made peanut chutney to go with this, as I was not sure how Vj too would like this, but he loved it. With Vinayagar chathurthi around, you can try this rice flour and sweet free pidi kozhukattai. One day evening you can offer to Vinayakar at home and have as evening snack too.
Step by step preparation pictures
- Soak urad dal for 2 hrs. In a mixer, grind green chilli first coarsely.
- Add soaked, drained urad dal. Just give it a run to grind it coarsely.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, heat oil. Temper with mustard, curry leaves and asafoetida. Add 1 cup water, required salt. Bring to boil, add ground urad dal, grated coconut and asafoetida.
- Once again bring to boil, add ragi flour to it. Stir briskly. Immediately, it will for thick mass. Cook for a minute and it will become a dough.
- Cool down until warm, covered. Once warm enough to handle, knead it with few drops of oil greased in your hand. It should be a shiny, non sticky dough.
- Divide into equal sized balls. Shape it to oblong cylinders with your finger’s impression in it.
- Arrange in a grease idli plate(or steamer). Steam cook for 10 mins.
- It will be soft to handle if you take immediately, so give 2 mins standing time and then take out from the plate.
Serve with coconut chutney or peanut chutney.