Ragi semiya is a healthy breakfast idea, learn how to make sweet version and upma version in this post with step by step photos.
Perfect healthy way to start the day as well as quick back from school snack for kids.
I rarely buy this because, the first time I tried it was a disaster. I did not follow the instruction properly given in the back of the packet and ended up making raagi kali rather upma.
Also I am the only person to eat this in my home. But I get many request from readers asking to post this one.
I just follow the same as they have given in the back of the pack. But you can make it in different ways keeping this as basic.
I have tried making in the same way as we make paruppu idiyappam and it comes out good.
After all Diwali celebrations, sweets and snacks, I thought of posting this simple recipe.
Do not soak more than mentioned otherwise it will dissolve in water.
Drain water completely before steaming, otherwise it will become lumpy after steaming.
Mix salt in water for even saltiness. I have done this in video but not shown in steps. For upma, anyways add little while sauteeing onion as it will not be enough.
Step by step photos
1. Soak the ragi in a liter of water just for 3 minutes. Drain water completely.
2. In a steamer (Idli pot), steam for 4-5 minutes.
3. Once done, fluff to separate the cooked semiya. In a kadai, heat oil and temper with the items given under 'To temper' table.
Follow by sliced onion, slit green chilli and fry till onion turn transparent. Add required salt.
5. Add half the cooked semiya and mix well.
6. For sweet version, mix cooked semiya, coconut, sugar, salt and cardamom.
Serve as such, if you want you can serve the ragi vermicelli upma with coconut chutney.
Ragi semiya recipe
- 2 cups Ragi semiya I used Anil
For sweet version
- ½ Cooked ragi semiya from above
- ¼ cup Coconut grated
- 2.5 tablespoon Sugar Adjust as per your taste
- Salt a generous pinch
- 1 Cardamom powdered
- ½ Cooked ragi semiya from the 2 cups cooked ragi semiya
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 2 teaspoon Chana dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Soak the ragi firstly in a litre of water just for 3 minutes. Drain water completely.
- In a steamer (Idli pot), steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Once done, fluff to separate the cooked ragi semiya. Divide into two portions.
Ragi semiya upma
- In a kadai, heat oil and temper with the items given under 'To temper'.1 teaspoon Oil, ½ teaspoon Mustard, 1 teaspoon Urad dal, 2 teaspoon Chana dal, 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Follow by sliced onion, slit green chilli and fry till onion turn transparent. Add required salt.
- Add half the cooked ragi semiya and mix well.
Sweet ragi semiya
- For sweet ragi semiya, mix cooked semiya, coconut, sugar, salt and cardamom.
- If you like you can add little ghee for extra taste and flavor. Do not add to hot ragi semiya as it would leave out water.
- So not soak more than 3 minutes or else the semiya will dissolve in water.
- Ragi semiya will not take much salt or oil so add carefully.
- Sugar must be added to sweet version only once the ragi semiya is cooled down.