Rajma pulao, an easy one pot dish perfect for quick fixes and lunch box too. I have used Kashmiri rajma, you can use the same recipe with regular rajma too.
I saw this organic Kashmiri rajma in Mustafa. It was smaller in size than the usual rajma and looked really pretty. So got it to make rajma masala. I thought I should try pulao too once and made this few weeks back. It turned out really good in taste. Aj too loved it.
Rajma chawal, usually had as rajma masala and cooked rice is a famous combo. I have posted this combo even in my lunch menu series. But making some variety rice was my idea. First I thought will cook rice separately and make a masala to mix, but that’s not I wanted. Something easy and simple. For Chana pulao, I have just soaked the chana and skipped precooking. but for rajma pulao I was in doubt if rajma would get cooked. So precooked rajma and used in the recipe. It was soft and tasted good.
Step by step pictures
- Soak rajma overnight. Next day, drain water, add 1 & 1/2 cups water and pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame. Or until cooked soft (rajma should retain its shape).
- In a small pressure cooker, add ghee and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’.
- Add slit green chillies, sliced onion to it. Stir fry for a minute. Add ginger garlic paste. Fry until it is fragrant. (1 minute)
- Add finely chopped tomato, salt, red chilli powder, kasuri methi, masala powder and fry until tomato turns mushy.
- Add cooked rajma, mint leaves. Mix well.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups water, soaked rice (drained from water), lemon juice and required salt. Mix well.Bring to boil.
- Close the lid, give 2 whistles in medium flame. Once pressure is released by itself, fluff the pulao.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with papad, raita and pickle. We had with simple onion raita.