How to make rasam vadai with full video and step by step pictures. Quick and easy rasam recipe, and an easy dal vada recipe to go with each other.
I tasted rasam vadai once or twice in restaurants. Otherwise make rasam vadai with leftover ulundhu vadai medhu vadai and left over rasam. Once in a family function at home, the cook who came to our home forgot to add salt in paruppu vadai. So we added the vadas in rasam. It turned out really good. I have not made rasam and vadai exclusively for making rasam vadai. Couple of years back when I posted a rasam vadai picture in facebook, few readers asked for recipe, but I already have posted lot of vadai varieties like sambar vadai, thayir vadai, cabbage vadai, keerai vadai all with ulundu vadai.
So when recently started seeing bonda rasam in instagram posts by friends, I really got tempted. A reader friend also suggested to post rasam vadai. But somehow I wanted to make it with paruppu vadai. What I saw in Instagram as bonda rasam is probably with urad dal bonda. I decided to do it with paruppu
vadai as suggested by the reader friend. I was bit skeptical if I make bonda, it would get cooked inside or not. So made as vadai and dropped in.
Rasam vadai video:
Rasam vadai preparation step by step pictures:
- First soak chana dal for 3 hrs. In a blender, powder red chilli, cumin seeds, salt and asafoetida coarsely.
- Drain water completely from soaked dal. Add to the blender and grind coarsely without water.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add chopped onion, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix.
- Make equal sized balls and flatten slightly in between your palms.
- Heat oil in kadai, add the vadas 3-4 in a batch. Cook in medium flame both sides until onion turn deep golden in colour. Drain in paper towels and repeat to finish.
- To make rasam, soak tamarind in hot water. Extract tamarind juice with a cup of water.
- Prepare rasam powder by blending chilli, pepper, cumin, coriander to a coarse mixture.
- In a vessel, take tamarind extract, 3 cups water, turmeric, salt, tomato, asafoetida, rasam powder and few curry leaves.
- Mix and bring to boil. Add prepared vadai immediately switch off the stove. Keep covered.
- Temper by heating oil, splutter mustard, add red chilli, cumin and curry leaves. Add to rasam and garnish with coriander leaves. Leave it closed for 15 mins minimum.
Serve warm. Enjoy the soft vadai, along with flavourful rasam. So appetizing!