Rava burfi, rava coconut burfi recipe an easy sweet for Diwali with just 4 main ingredients. Rava burfi without milk. Full video and step by step pictures.
I have seen my mom in law make coconut burfi each time with some variations. No matter what she does, the burfi turns out delicious and white everytime, which she feels very proud. I too have seen many dull coloured burfi where my mami’s burfi is white as snow. One of the main reason, she scrapes coconut without scraping the brown part. Other thing I noticed is the flame is not high to caramelize the sugar and change the colour dull. So I too make sure to follow these two when I prepare burfi.
She adds pottukadalai (dariya/ fried gram dal) in coconut burfi. It will be very nice alternative for cashews. I have not tried adding so far. I thought I will try for this rava burfi. She says she sprinkles some rava at the end while making coconut burfi. When I was browsing my old cookbook I have, I saw this simple rava burfi. So thought of trying it out for this Deepavali.
How to make rava burfi recipe method:
- Dry roast rava and pottukadalai for 30 secs each to just heat it up.
- Heat a pan with sugar and 1/2 cup water. Boil until you get 1 string consistency.
- Add coconut and again bring to boil for 2 minutes.
- Add rava, pottukadalai and continue cooking. Once thick, add 1 tbsp of ghee and mix.
- Keep mixing until the mixture starts to leave the sides. Add remaining 1 tbsp ghee and powdered cardamom. You will see the whole mixture bubbles raised, frothy and white.
- Keep a greased pan ready. Pour the mixture immediately and level.
- Let it cool down a bit. When it is lukewarm, invert and tap gently.
- Cut into squares.