Rava toast or sooji toast is an open toast with semolina (Rava/ Sooji) made to a savory batter and toasted in low flame.
This can be a perfect quick and filling snack for kids returning from schools. Or even as breakfast in lazy sundays.
Rava toast ingredients
Rava - Sooji or semolina is the main ingredient in the recipe. You can use any type of rava - Roasted, unroasted, fine or coarse.
Bread - Use your favorite sliced bread. Thick slice, Sandwich bread will work best. Avoid milk bread as it will be too soft. Multigrain can be a healthier choice.
Vegetables - You can use your favorite vegetables. Carrot, cabbage, colorful capsicums.
Milk or cream - For best taste, I highly recommend cream to make batter. But if you are concerned about calories, you can use 50 50 milk and cream or fully milk.
Curd - You can use this for balanced taste as well as a lovely golden roasted toast.
See my recipe card for full list and quantities.
I have not tasted this before, have seen a video once by chance otherwise it’s totally new to me. Love any dish prepared with rava/ sooji. So I was sure I will like this too.
Recently my BIL asked me if I have this post in my blog, so thought of trying and making a post. Obviously I loved it so much, it turned out awesome.
Updated a video for this post and I have used cream and milk in this as suggested by my friend Sangeeta.
I wanted to change my pictures too, but sadly it was raining and could not get a convincing one to replace the old ones. Also the old one had red capsicum which I loved the most.
Just one that I clicked from my video for satisfaction and for you all to relate to it too.
I guess this can be called savory french toast or rock toast too. Found the recipe here for my reference.
Rava toast | Sooji toast recipe
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- Cast iron griddle
- ½ cup Rava Semolina/ sooji
- 4 Bread slices
- ¼ Onion finely chopped
- ¼ Capsicum Finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon Carrot
- 1 Green chilli finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder You can skip this totally and use more green chilli
- 2 tablespoon Curd plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Cream cooking cream
- ¼ cup Milk
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves Finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Oil or ghee or butter
- Mix all the ingredients except bread and oil in a mixing bowl firstly.½ cup Rava, ¼ Onion, ¼ Capsicum, 3 tablespoon Carrot, 1 Green chilli, ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder, 2 tablespoon Curd, 2 tablespoon Cream, ¼ cup Milk, 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves, Salt as needed
- Use milk and cream to make a thick batter. Add water only if needed to loosen the texture.
Coat the bread
- Spread the batter over one side of the bread slice as a thick layer.
- Then heat tawa / cast iron griddle and drizzle with generous oil/ ghee or some butter. Put the batter applied side to the tawa.
- Cook in low or medium flame until golden crust is formed. Flip and toast until crisp.
- Repeat to finish.
- I added colour capsicum as I had it in stock and wanted to use it up. It gave a nice flavour. You an use simply grated carrot. You can increase onion if you want.
- You can skip green chilli if kids are having it.
- Add grated ginger for extra flavour.
- Using milk or cream makes it more tastier and rich.
- Updated video has yellow capsicum instead of red and skipped red chilli powder. So it looks more pale in colour.
- Mix all the ingredients for rava toast, except bread and oil in a mixing bowl firstly. Use milk or cream to make a thick batter. Add water if needed to loosen the consistency.
Make rava toast
- Secondly, spread the batter over one side of the bread slice as a thick layer. Heat tawa / pan and drizzle with generous oil/ ghee or some butter. Put the batter applied side to the tawa.
- Cook in low or medium flame until golden crust is formed. Flip and toast until crisp
Serve rava toast hot always with tomato ketchup/ sauce of your choice.