Mango rice (south Indian style), is a flavour packed and tasty variety rice you can try this in mango season. Learn how to make this mangai sadam, inspired from mavinakayi chitranna with step by step pictures.
It would have been few years since I made Mango rice. Now since mango season has started, I thought I should make it.
And bought a couple of raw mangoes when I went to little Indian market. Today I made and had it for lunch at last! This one is very simple recipe and it's an easy lunch box idea as well. Just had it with mom’s homemade vadams.
The grating part is what it takes time. Otherwise, within 10 minutes the mango rice is ready! I had the recipe in a recipe book by Ramani Chandran called “Rani samayal.” This recipe is part of my lunch menu 55:
Mango rice recipe, Mangai sadam
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- 1 cup Rice uncooked
- 1 Raw mango Unripe mango
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 tablespoon Sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 2 teaspoon Chana dal
- 2 tablespoon Peanuts
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
- 3 Red Chillies
- 4 Green Chillies you can use red chillies alone too
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Firstly, cook rice with 2 cups water for 3-4 whistles, cool down and separate the grains.
- Peel the mango and grate it finely.
- Heat pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table in order.
- Add turmeric powder,grated mango and mix.
- Fry for 2 minutes in medium flame. Lastly add salt and mix well.
- Mix with the cooled rice and serve with papad.
- I used both red chilli and green chilli for flavour. You can use any one too.
- Depending on the variety of rice you use, the water ratio varies. Which ever you use, cook with lesser water to get separate grains after cooking.
- Firstly, wash the rice well 2-3 times until water runs clear.
- Cook 1 cup rice with 2 cups water for 4 whistles.
- Once done, cool down by spreading on a broad plate/ vessel with a teaspoon of sesame oil, little salt and separate the grains gently.
- As it cools, will become fluffier.
Make mango rice
- Firstly, peel the mango with a peeler (with ridges means it's easy to peel) and grate it finely.
- After that, heat pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ in order.
3. Add turmeric powder, grated mango and mix.
4. Fry for 2 minutes in medium flame. Lastly add salt and mix well.
5. Mix with the cooled rice and serve with papad.
The rice is so flavourful and goes well with any papad/ vadam/ appalam or simple poriyals !