Raw mango rice, prepared in south Indian way, a perfect variety rice that can simply made in mango season. Step by step pictures recipe.
It would have been few years since I made Mango rice. Now since mango season has started, I thought I should make it. And bought a couple of raw mangoes when I went to little Indian market. Today I made and had it for lunch at last! This one is very simple recipe and its an easy lunch box idea as well. Just had it with mom’s home made vadams.
The grating part is what it takes time. Otherwise, within 10 minutes the mango rice is ready! I had the recipe in a recipe book by Ramani Chandran called “Rani samayal.” This recipe is part of my lunch menu 55:
Mango rice recipe, Mangai sadam
- Raw mango – 1
- Turmeric – ⅛ tsp
- Salt As needed
- Rice 1 cup un cooked
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 2 tsp
- Peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida –⅛ tsp
- Red Chillies – 3
- Green Chillies – 4 Skip and use red chilli more
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Cook rice with 2 cups water for 3-4 whistles, cool down and separate the grains. Peel the mango and grate it finely. Heat pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table in order.1-grate-season
- Add turmeric powder,grated mango and mix.2-mix
- Fry for 2 minutes in medium flame. Lastly add salt and mix well.3-add-salt
- Mix with the cooled rice and serve with papad.4-mix-with-rice
- I used both red chilli and green chilli for flavour. You can use any one too.
- Depending on the variety of rice you use, the water ratio varies. Which ever you use, cook with lesser water to get separate grains after cooking.
Raw mango rice method
- Cook rice with 2 cups water for 4 whistles, cool down by spreading on a broad plate/ vessel with a teaspoon of sesame oil, little salt and separate the grains.
- Peel the mango with a peeler (with ridges means its easy to peel) and grate it finely. Heat pan with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table in order.
- Add turmeric powder, grated mango and mix.
- Fry for 2 minutes in medium flame. Lastly add salt and mix well.
- Mix with the cooled rice and serve with papad.
The rice is so flavourful and goes well with any papad/ vadaams or simple poriyals !