Red capsicum chutney is full of flavours, attractive colour as we add tomatoes along with it. Garlic and the tempering adds aroma to the chutney perfect side dish for idli, dosa.
Capsicum chutney is totally new to me, had no clue about this chutney. I always love the colourful capsicum and tempted to buy it whenever I see. Red is my favorite next to green. I feel the green capsicum is so crisp to cut, while red is soft to cut through (fresh one, promise✋) I use in veg makhani gravy or corn capsicum gravy.
This time, thought of trying out capsicum chutney. I made similar to my onion tomato chutney, replacing onion in it. The flavour was just like a chilli chutney with its fiery red colour. It was delicious with idli and dosa.
How to make red capsicum chutney step by step pictures:
- First roast chana dal and red chilli in oil. Once chana dal is golden roasted, drain from oil, keep aside.
- In the same oil, splutter mustard, add urad dal, once golden, add asafoetida, curry leaves. Transfer to a bowl. Continue by adding capsicum, garlic, fry for a minute.
- Add tomato and fry further more for a minute or until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Remove in plate for cooling down. In a mixer, powder red chilli and chana dal with salt.
- Powder coarsely and add the sauteed items.
- Grind fairly smooth chutney. Mix into the tempered items.
Serve with idli or dosa. I had with dosa and it was really good.