Rose badam milk is made with almonds, milk and added rose flavor. I have also added saffron, cardamom and there is a very subtle flavour of edible camphor too which is optional.
I have never heard or thought about this rose badam milk until two weeks back when I saw at Chennai airport. When we finished check in and turned back, there was Sri Krishna sweets in which Vj wanted to buy some goodies for his friends. I was super hungry and saw this rose badam milk over there in the front. I am big fan of badam milk and rose milk as well. If anything is there with both in one drink, would I miss it?
I got it and gulped before queuing for emigration, while Vj was filling the form (I filled my tummy😋). It was really good, but I knew if I try on my own I can customize to suit my taste. I felt like having it again and made it. I have posted badam kheer before, but I love badam milk (thin version) more. So I made the thin version like the one you find with MTR badam drink. You can adapt this recipe for badam milk (badam paal) too if you want to have it simply as badam drink.
But please try rose badam milk too once atleast if you are a rose milk and badam milk lover like me.
Step by step pictures:
- Soak badam for 2-3 hours and peel off the skin.
- Reserve 4 badams for chopping. Grind the rest of it with 1/4 cup milk, very smoothly.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan. Soak saffron in 2 tbsp of warm milk, while the milk boils.
- Add the saffron milk, sugar, powdered cardamom (edible camphor if adding) to the milk.
- Finely chop badam we reserved and add to the milk.
- Add ground badam and milk mixture and bring to boil. Simmer for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Cool down completely and add rose syrup, mix. Refrigerate until serving.
Always serve chilled. All the flavour together makes an exotic drink. If you serve this for your guests or family members, they will really be wowed.