Rumali roti recipe with full video, step by step detailed instructions to make soft and thin roti at home in easy method.
Rumali roti is super thin roti, meaning as thin as handkerchief and can be folded easily like a cloth. I love rumali roti, both taste wise and also the recipe has all simple ingredients unlike naan or kulcha which involves yeast or cooking soda to prepare. It is not heavy when had, as I make with major wheat flour ratio than maida. Also no butter.
I made it with water, but you can use lukewarm milk too for more softer results. Some videos I saw had cooking soda too, but I don’t think we really need it. So I adapted the recipe from Vah chef which is easy. I adapted an easier method though, for my convenience. I did tried cooking the rumali roti over an inverted kadai and saw, but the kadai I have is copper bottom and I could not get a softer result. So I did in tawa itself, so if you are also trying first time like me, can follow this same way.
How to make rumali roti step by step method:
- Take wheat flour, maida and salt in a mixing bowl, mix well. Add water little by little to make a soft pliable dough. Refer notes for more tips.
- Knead for 5 mins, apply oil and keep aside for 10 mins minimum.
- After 20 mins, knead again for 5 mins. Divide into equal sized balls.
- Dust generously with maida and roll into thin roti. Dust in between rolling well, so that rolling out thin is easy.
- Take out carefully and cook over hot tawa. It gets cooked really fast in few seconds.
- Flip and cook for few more seconds, until small brown spots appear here and there.
Fold and stack in hot pack, enjoy hot with any rich gravy or vegetable subji. We had with paneer butter masala.