Sakkaravalli kizhangu poriyal is a simple accompaniment for rice, or even you can have as such. This sweet potato poriyal is made with fresh ground spices to make it tasty, flavourful.
I make sweet potato poriyal just like i make vazhakkai poriyal. This time for pongal when we bought sweet potato to make seven veg kootu and pongal kuzhambu, I had some leftovers. First I thought I would make sweet potato fries. But the sweet potatoes were tiny, so I thought I will make poriyal with it. Vj likes sweet potato. So I made it as poriyal last week.
I used fresh ground spices for this as I made vazhakkai poriyal and avarakkai poriyal with this same spice powder on pongal day.
How to make sakkaravalli kizhangu poriyal:
- Peel the skin off sweet potato, slice into thick pieces. Divide into two or three if its big. Mine was small, so I just divided into two.
- Boil it with salt until cooked. Drain and set aside once done.
- In a kadai, roast chilli, coriander seeds, chana dal, urad dal until golden and lastly add asafoetida.
- Cool down the roasted items and powder it. Temper with oil, mustard and curry leaves. Add boiled sweet potato.
- Give it a stir and add powdered spice.
- Lastly add coconut and roast for a minute.
Serve as accompaniment for rice.