Salem thattu vadai set is made by sandwiching thattu vadai with a salad of grated carrot, beetroot, onion along with lemon, chaat masala and chaat spreads.
This is a popular street food originated from Salem, Tamil Nadu but later got familiar in other parts as well.
Brought up in Salem, I have had this n number of times!! – is what I wish to write, but no, its not true. I have never seen or tasted this in my life ever😞. Till now😛.
But I have got many requests to post thattu vadai set for past few years. When I got my first request only I knew there is one such street food existing in Salem.
So from that time onwards when I searched, I saw a video in youtube… I have watched it enough but never tried.
Whenever I get thattai from India, I will plan to try but I will eat as such before I buy the other ingredients.
Then I thought I should make it myself and try as the store bought thattai are not photogenic. So did the years pass by.
So this time, when my FIL passed these thattu vadais from A2B, I got all the ingredients ready to try and then only opened the pack.
I really loved it when I tasted. I should try this somehow when I go to Salem next time.
Step by step
- Finely slice onion. In a mixing bowl, mix carrot, beetroot, onion, lemon juice, coriander leaves.
- Arrange two thattu vadai in a plate. Apply the green spread in one side of a thattu vadai. On another one, spread red ones or orange ones, I used both.
- Place generous mixture of the carrot, beetroot, onion over one of the thattu vadai and sprinkle chaat masala generously. Place the other one over it and make a sandwich.
Enjoy the tasty snack immediately. Salem thattu vadai set can be made with mini sized thattai. It looks pretty and easy to eat too.
Thattu vadai set
- Finely slice onion.
- In a mixing bowl, mix carrot, beetroot, onion, lemon juice, coriander leaves.
- Arrange two thattu vadai in a plate. Spread green chutney in one side of a thattai.
- On another thattai, spread red chutney or orange chutney.
- Place generous mixture of the carrot, beetroot, onion over one of the thattai and sprinkle chaat masala generously.
- Place the other thattai over it and make a sandwich.
- Add lots of lemon juice as beetroot will be tasting bland.
- Though kara chutney will be good, I miss sweetness in the chaat. So I prefer red chutney over it.
- Let the spreads be spicy.