Millet pongal, with samai / little millet with step by step pictures. Healthier way by swapping rice. You will never know it's not rice.
Of the millets my parents gave me, samai (Little millet in English, Kutki in Hindi, Sama in telugu, Same in Kannada, Chama in Malayalam) is the last one to try. One day I was craving to have pongal, but wanted to make it healthier.
So tried my hands with samai also known as little millet. It came out really superb. I used to make our regular pongal this way, i.e; temper directly in pressure cooker and cook all together for pongal – my mom’s way.
Its been a long time since I made this way. My mom never adds turmeric anyways. But I added. If you want to replace rice in your diet with millets, this is one of the best option to make pongal. You hardly will know its not rice.
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- ½ cup Samai / Little millet - ½ cup
- 2 tablespoon Moong dal / Payatham paruppu - 2 tblsp
- 1 tablespoon Ginger crushed/ chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric
- Ghee - As needed
- 2 teaspoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Pepper Black whole pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida/ Hing
- Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee.
- First pop pepper, add cumin seeds the other ingredients together (green chilli slit) and give a stir.
- Add ginger, moong dal and fry for a minute. Wash samai, add it into the cooker. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups water, salt and mix well.
- Bring to boil and close the cooker, give 4 whistles in medium flame.
- Once done, let the pressure release by itself. Open and mash well.
Millet pongal method
- Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee, first pop pepper, add jeera the other ingredients together (green chilli slit) and give a stir. Add ginger, moong dal and fry for a minute. Wash samai, add it into the cooker. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups water, salt and mix well. Bring to boil and close the cooker, give 4 whistles in medium flame. Once done, let the pressure release by itself. Open and mash well.
- For ½ cup samai, 2 cups water is perfect, so do not hesitate to add.
- If its too dry, mix ⅛ cup hot water and mix.