Savory buckwheat flour dinner rolls with wheat flour, psyllium husk, flax meal, green chilli, onion and coriander leaves. Full video post.
I love savory buns and wanted to make for about a month now. Made this one last month and wanted to make again.
Then thought why not tweak a bit to make a new post with the healthy ingredients I had in hand.
Totally loved the soft texture and taste of these with a hint of spice from chilli and flavor from shallots. Also I have used psyllium husk in this buns.
Psyllium husk is a plant based ingredient from husk of Plantago ovata plant's seeds.
Psyllium husk is mainly used as dietary fiber, helps in symptoms of constipation. When used over time, it also said to help in lowering cholesterol and type two diabetics.
This is the first time I know about psyllium husk after I got it from Wildseed.sg and good to learn about it's health benefits.
I have started using it just in small quantities (1 tbsp) in paratha dough, bread, cheela etc. It doesn't affect the flavor or taste.
I realized having healthy ingredients at home influences the healthy eating habit too and want to continue with it.
So if you are in Singapore, you can order such quality organic ingredients from wildseed.sg (non-affiliate link)
Coming to today's recipe, both Vj and Aj loved these savory buckwheat dinner rolls and it got over in no time.
I have used butter in this recipe, you can easily replace it with olive oil, if you are worried about it.
You can also make the same recipe with 1 & ½ cup all purpose flour or fully wheat flour or a ratio of maida and wheat flour too! - skipping buckwheat flour, flax meal, psyllium husk.
Water quantity is ¼ cup and others same (instead of using the water for flax mixture and the 1 tablespoon extra).
I have used instant yeast, so directly adding for mixing. If you are using active dry yeast, you have to dissolve completely yeast in milk, water and sugar.
Keep aside for 10 mins. This mixture should be frothy and raised for using in the recipe to knead dough.
Savory buckwheat flour dinner rolls
- 1 cup wheat flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon Instant yeast
- 2 tablespoon shallots/ small onion measure chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves measure chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon melt butter
- Milk & butter for brushing
- Mix flax meal with 3 tablespoon warm water and set aside for 15 mins.
- In a mixing bowl, add all wet ingredients. Top it with the other dry ingredients.
- I used my bread maker for kneading. It takes about 15 mins. You can hand knead well for 10 mins.
- Once you have the dough, grease a bowl with oil and grease the dough surface. Cling wrap and set aside for an hour for rising.
- After 1 hr, knead again to smooth. Divide to equal sized portions.
- Roll into small balls. Grease a pan with oil/ butter. Dust with some flour.
- Place the rolled dough in it and cover it for second rise. (10-15 mins)You can preheat the oven until then at 190 deg C.
- Brush the top with milk to cover the surface. Bake for 15-18 mins.
- Once done, brush generously with butter.Cool over wire rack. Enjoy warm.
Step by step pictures
1. Prepare flax mixture: Mix flax meal with 3 tablespoon warm water and set aside for 15 mins.
2. In a mixing bowl, add all wet ingredients.
3. Top it with the other dry ingredients.
4. I used my bread maker for kneading. It takes about 15 mins. You can hand knead well for 10 mins.
5. Once you have the dough, grease a bowl with oil and grease the dough surface too. Cling wrap and set aside for an hour for rising.
6. After 1 hr, knead again to smooth. Divide to equal sized portions. Roll into small balls.
7. Grease a pan with oil/ butter. Dust with some flour. Place the rolled dough in it and cover it for second rise. (10-15 mins)
8. You can preheat the oven until then at 190 deg C. Brush the top with milk to cover the surface. Bake for 15-18 mins. Mine took 18 mins.
9. Once done, brush generously with butter. Cool over wire rack. Enjoy warm.
Enjoy warm with butter for breakfast or as dinner rolls with soup. It is soft in texture and delicious too! Since we have added onion, it is better to consume within a day. Dough is also recommended for same day use.